Used shipping containers..?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Anybody buy or locate one recently? I just want a 20 footer to store a vehicle and some things over the winters but have it permanently in the back yard.

Curious if anybody has any connections or info.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Anybody buy or locate one recently? I just want a 20 footer to store a vehicle and some things over the winters but have it permanently in the back yard.

Curious if anybody has any connections or info.
We bought two last year. They are very popular and the prices are pretty fixed for anything you would want to actually use. We bought one "new" 20' and a "refurbished" 10' container. New isn't technically accurate, as they have all made at least one trip to our country. One trip containers are a little more money than a standard used container but they are worth it IMO. They all have lock boxes welded on the doors and are not nearly as beat up as used containers.

Our refurbished 10' was basically salvaged from a damaged 20' or 40' container. While it looks decent from 20 feet away, it's nowhere near as nice as the one-trip we bought, and I still need to buy a lock box and weld it on. The floor may need replacement in a few years, too.

If you can find a damaged container that you are willing to cut down and put in the work, you can save a lot of money. I just missed a 40' unit for $800 with 10' of the floor rotted out.9F7B23EB-2C2E-414F-9CFC-F173D05B81C8.jpeg0B420AE8-B06D-469B-866C-9A50D2332A70.png

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
What did you pay for the one-trip container?
$3250 for the one-trip 20'
$2700 for the "refurbished" 10'
Neither price included tax or delivery.

We use the 10' for a tool shed and the 20' stores our SXS. We've had people camp in the 20' container. It's very clean except for the Pickle smell.

If I had the time, I would have bought a 40' and cut it in half.

muleskinner

I've been watching for a good deal on one for a couple years, I finally found a 40' in decent shape that I picked up for $800. $250 to move it 10 miles... The local shipping container guy here is a crook.

I lined my walls and ceiling with 4'' ISO foam board so I could enter it in July. I lost 8'' of storage, but I think it's worth it. I also store drums of water inside and hopefully I don't have freezing problems this winter.

I'm going to put lights and a man door in it also.

kalxDFu.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
We have a 20’ unit being delivered to us on Tuesday from one of the places in salt lake. We are paying $2400 for it. Sounds like that may or may not be a good deal. We just needed something ASAP to store a new machine we are getting. When it arrives I have to cut one of the 20’ walls off of it. Fun stuff.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I forgot to mention extra doors. All of the containers I found that had doors in both ends or even in the sides were quite a bit more expensive than the standard units. There were some 20' one-trip containers with two sets of swing out doors in the side for $6,000. The side doors would be pretty sweet, but not at double the cost.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Our container showed up today. It has a few dents around, but otherwise it's fine. At $2400 I don't know that we paid too much, but I do know I would have had to build some sort of covering/lean to if we had not. I just don't have time to build one and I highly doubt I would have saved much between parts and labor. So I'm very happy with it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I always worry about the longevity of containers, I've seen some where they start rusting through the roofs and moisture gets places it shouldn't. Do any of you plan to treat your roofs with a protectant coating or rubber membrane?

Corban_White

I sent an email to Evans this morning asking for pricing and this is what I got back:

- 8’ Long Used - $2,200
- 20’ Long Used - $3,300
- 20’ Long One-Trip - $4,000
- 20’ Long One-Trip Double-Door - $4,400
- 40’ Long Used - $4,300
- 40’ Long One-Trip - $5,000
- 40’ Long High-Cube Used - $4,500
- 40’ Long High-Cube One-Trip - $5,200
- 40’ Long High-Cube One-Trip Double-Door - $5,600

FWIW, on their website they say that the used ones are all refurbed by them (sandblasted, painted, wind&water tight with all damaged floorboards replaced). I can't verify what that looks like personally, just passing the info from their site.

Corban_White

For a point of reference, I just paid $3700 for a good condition 40’ delivered about 60 miles
Our container showed up today. It has a few dents around, but otherwise it's fine. At $2400 I don't know that we paid too much, but I do know I would have had to build some sort of covering/lean to if we had not. I just don't have time to build one and I highly doubt I would have saved much between parts and labor. So I'm very happy with it.
Who did you guys get them from?

Corban_White

Just got some info back from Onsite Storage:

Used 20’ Dry Van (20'Lx8'Wx8.5'H) - $1800
Used 40’ Dry Van (40'Lx8'Wx8.5'H) - $2100
Used 40’ High Cube (40'Lx8'Wx9.5'H) - $2200
***There is no sales tax if you are outside of California.***
+Shipping charges estimated at $6.00/mile 1 way ; $300 minimum