Using a shock as a steering stabilizer

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
I've spent the morning trying to research if it's advisable to use a normal shock as a steering stabilizer. The only information I can find states that a steering stabilizer is specifically engineered to run horizontally and that most shocks are not so it is not recommended to use them. On my 4Runner with high steer, it would be much more convenient to just use a universal shock with the correct stroke. The other option, specific to my setup, is the Trail Gear steering stabilizer kit (I don't need the entire kit, just the replacement stabilizer).

Thoughts?

If it's any help, I'm trying to fix a "death wobble" problem. At 50+ the 4Runner starts wobbling uncontrollably and just about throws me off the road. It's so bad I just flat tow it now everywhere I go. I currently have a Rancho 5000 shock installed by the previous owner (not sure if it's an "official" steering stabilizer or not...doesn't say). I can move it in and out fairly easily by hand so I'm sure it's not helping to control my 37's much. I'd like to replace it...just trying to figure out with what. As always, TIA for all your help.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
The steering stabilizer is just a band-aid and is not going to fix the true problem. You technically shouldn't even need a stabilizer if everything is in good order. Since you have a SAS I would look into the possibility of the leaf bushing being worn out. You will also want to look into other parts being worn out. Tie rod ends, steering gear, ball joints, etc..Worse case you might want to measure from rear hub to front hub on each side and make sure the brackets for the front axle were even put on straight.

If everything is nice an tight and as it should be then take it to get an alignment to make sure caster, camber and toe in are all in spec.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
The steering stabilizer is just a band-aid and is not going to fix the true problem.

This

Shocks have asymmetric dampening. A steering stabilizer will have equal damping in and out.

And this.

If all of your steering and suspension components up front are in proper working order you will not experience DW. I fought DW in my Jeep for quite a while, finally sourced it to bad ball joints...obviously toyota axles are going to be a different animal but the same stuff still applies. I haven't had a Steering Stabilizer on my rig since the sand dunes last year in March I think, the jeep has zero bump steer and no wobble other than out of balance tires.

I would check and replace any TRE's, bushings heims and any other things that could be worn out and that should solve it.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Assuming all of your geometry is correct, loose shackle bolts and worn frame/spring eye bushings will let that axle slap all over the place.

I use a stabilizer from TG, it is not for death wobble but to slow down the kick back of the steering wheel when the front is bound up.

Are your tires balanced?