UT-20 Highway

Mope

Does anyone know if this highway remains open during the winter? It's the one thats about 20 miles long, and takes you from I-15 over to Highway 89. I am driving to Phoenix for Christmas, and I'd rather take this way than having to go over to Vegas then down. I've always taken the Highway 20 route before. If there is another better route to get over there so I can head through Kanab etc please share.

Thanks
Jason

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
It stays open all year, but watch the weather before you go. If it's snowing, it's a good road to avoid. It gets slick and really backed up. That's the way we go to Pheonix also. If it's stormy, we head down through Hurricane and Colorado City (I think it's HWY59). The Vegas route is way too long.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I used to go to Phoenix two-three times a week when I drove for Frito Lay. I would never take 20 in the winter. It is as unpredictable as Donners Pass. The route Coreshot mentioned is a good one. It is a touch longer, but more scenery for sure.

The route I most often used was I-15 south to Nephi-UT28 south to Gunnison-89 south to Flagstaff.

There are many other variations of this route, but this one had the least hills and always seemed the most reliable. All the routes are within 15 minutes of each other for time traveled.

Mope

Thanks for the input. It's much appreciated. I'd like to get down there the safest way possible. I'll map out the other route. A change of scenery will be nice as well.

EDIT: I've mapped them both out, I just need to decide which route to take for sure.

Thanks again for the input.

Last edited:

Mope

Thanks for the updates. I'm going to just avoid 20 I'm sure. Quick question: In idaho there is a website 511.idaho.gov that you can look at road conditions, and there are cameras on some parts of different highways and freeways. Does Utah have a similar site?

EDIT: Found one. Much better than Idaho's http://www.utahcommuterlink.com/

Last edited: