UT Vehicle Laws, etc....

Bones

Hey, nice board! I have a few ?'s for you folks regarding general vehicle do's and don'ts We are planning a move out to SLC this year and plan to visit ASAP to get a feel for the area.

Does UT have auto inspections, smog, etc.? We have general BS inspections every other year, but not smog and our tags cost IMO a fortune every year ($600 for three autos)

Also my 4Runner is undergoing a cab swap to an Xcab PU. Here in MO once it's done I have to get it inspected by the Hwy Patrol so it's legal, etc. Or I might just use the VIN and title from the Xcab and tag it as a truck even though it have the 4runner frame/VIN. Will this cause any issues getting it tagged once we move to UT? If so, I'll scrap it all and take the drivetrain with me to UT and build a new once I get there. :D

Forgot to mention it will have some sort of a flatbed and more than likely a hideous XO cage draped around the entire thing as well. I might sell my current daily driver before we head west and this would be my daily driver again, and no matter what will get driven to the trails still. I'll do an int. cage if the cops will hassle me. Trying my best to do this so I don't screw myself once we move. Anything goes here in MO :p

P

pokeyYJ

Originally posted by Bones
Does UT have auto inspections, smog, etc.? We have general BS inspections every other year, but not smog and our tags cost IMO a fortune every year ($600 for three autos)

Depends on the county that you live in, I know that in Davis county you have to have yearly IM and Safety inspections if you vehicle is older than 96, if it is newer you just have to have the Safety yearly and the IM every other year, I think.

But if you live in Cache county or somewhere there are NO IM laws at all.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
SLC and Utah County both have yearly Emissions and Inspection, so more than likely, you'll need to be mostly Legal.

Vonski runs a Exo'd Toyota P/U on 38's and it's more or less his Daily Driver. Last I heard, he gets hassled a little bit from the UHP. Just know the Law (Or carry a Copy of it with you) and you should escape any Tickets.

When are you visiting and moving? Any idea where you'll move to?

Bones

Originally posted by Greg
SLC and Utah County both have yearly Emissions and Inspection, so more than likely, you'll need to be mostly Legal.

Vonski runs a Exo'd Toyota P/U on 38's and it's more or less his Daily Driver. Last I heard, he gets hassled a little bit from the UHP. Just know the Law (Or carry a Copy of it with you) and you should escape any Tickets.

When are you visiting and moving? Any idea where you'll move to?
Thanks for info

Should be out there in the next month or two. We have a friend in W. Jordan, and will most likely stick around that general area. Nothing 100% though

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Bones

Thanks for info

Should be out there in the next month or two. We have a friend in W. Jordan, and will most likely stick around that general area. Nothing 100% though

WEST JORDAN.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ......wannabes with station wagons live out there.......

Bones

:p From what we have gotten for info the south part of the city is the nicest, etc. Where we are now is summed up nicely like this:

-Gov. Funded Apts.
-Juvies vandalizing our property
-Rednecks...LOTS of these bastids

We need to get out while the gettin's good.

Any other areas to looking into in the 125K range? Must have parking for 3. The more room for spares parts the better :D

P

pokeyYJ

You could look around the Bountiful/Centerville/Farmington area. Just north of SLC and nice area, little quieter up here.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
no he wants to buy my house. LOL have you seen the grease that just grown on the ground out here in west valley/ jordan. :eek: gotta move est to get away from the grease. No I don't mean the greencard wanna be's either :)

Bones

Originally posted by Skyetone
no he wants to buy my house. LOL have you seen the grease that just grown on the ground out here in west valley/ jordan. :eek: gotta move est to get away from the grease. No I don't mean the greencard wanna be's either :)
:p More info please. I'm serious about wanting to stay away from riff raff. I can't leave my truck parking outside overnight for fear of a window being broke. Luckily that's the worst that has happened and no thefts....yet I'll go further into debt to stay away from "those types" :(

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
NICE SIG LINE LOL that won't get you flack :cool:
There around everywhere in the SLC valley. it kinda goes this block is good and that block is kinda bad. ya know. It isn't really that bad but every ten blocks or so there will be a small section. There are also "parts of town" that are worse. out west is good if you are away from old housing. the east side is ok but $pendy. the middle is fair game. was north ok, way south (provoish) is ok to. but then again its $pendy