Utah Legislature passes historic lands bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Don't confuse yourself with Public and private land. I'm talking about public land! Not private. Yes if farmer John doesn't want people driving in his fields then that's his right! And one must ask for permission to go on private land if posted. That is a no brainer!

You're showing your ineptitude in understanding basic laws. Public land does not mean that you can do whatever you want on it. It means that it is held in trust for uses deemed to be best for the public by the public through laws established by our duly elected representatives.
The ability to travel freely may be a right, but motorized access is a privilege granted by the government of the land.

Question, Dugway Proving Ground is technically "public land". Would you go ignore the no trespassing signs and drive out there? There are lots and lots of established roads. Some of them predating the Proving Ground.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
There's 2 ways to fight bad laws... 1. Beg big brother. (Letters, protests) 2. Civil Disobedience. (Fight it in the courts) I'm not much of a begger...* Who said anything about going off the trail? I always stay on the trail if it's in existence:)
Dude, civil disobedience means breaking the law in a highly visible way, in order to give you grounds to challenge the law in court (or demonstrate it's unfairness in the press). Merely breaking the law is not civil disobedience. If you're not getting caught, you're doing it wrong. You're using a lot of big words with not much understanding of what they mean, and making a fool of yourself in the process. You might wanna stop digging.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Wicked Monkey: You're a douche. Stay on the trail you idiot
I am thinking the same thing, but I would add something along the idea "ignorant
trucker who has too much time to solve the world problems while no one is
around to actually reason with him besides radical talk radio and truck stop
internet connections, therefore leading him to post up here to try and validate
his insanity"

But I thought I would take the "Nice Road" and give him the benefit
of the doubt. But then again the old saying, "it is better to remain
silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt" is
coming to mind. :D

Wicked Monkey

Banned
Those case laws are rulings defending the right to travel. They are the law and can be used in a court of law as a defense. Also each one is where a person actually won in court:) There's more case law out there that proves my points! Insane? A little... Truth? 100%

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I guess the biggest thing that you don't understand is that you are not the public. We are the public. Once you can wrap your head around that rather existential idea you should be able to see where all the rest of us are coming from. Remember, the good of the many outweighs the good of the one.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
There's 2 ways to fight bad laws...

1. Beg big brother. (Letters, protests)
2. Civil Disobedience. (Fight it in the courts)

I'm not much of a begger...*

Who said anything about going off the trail? I always stay on the trail if it's in existence:)

Just so you're aware. I will either put a chain between your rig and mine so if you do go off trail (because a closed trail is now not open, therefore you are legally "off trail"), you're dragging my 5000 Jeep behind you or I'll just put my Jeep on your hood before you go off trail.

Wicked Monkey

Banned
Just because you have the right to access public land, it doesn't mean you have the right for motorized access.

I object!!

"The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a common law right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson v. Smith, 154 SE 579.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
monkey, please respond to my posts about put up or shut up...

I will take vacation time to be a part of your big talking civil disobience.

At the same time, thank you for removing all doubt of your ingnorance...

I don't have to play nice anymore.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I object!!

"The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a common law right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson v. Smith, 154 SE 579.

Wow. When do you sit for the BAR exam?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
The case law that you keep bringing up is dated, primarily dealing with commerce, and can easily be challanged in regards to off-highway travel. You're not looking at the big picture. You're finding cases that validate you're argument. A good lawyer, or any researcher, looks at the alternatives too. When has this argument been defeated before? Is there case law, or precidents that have been set that contradict the ones that support my case or argument. You're failing in every way in basic debating.

Wicked Monkey

Banned
The case law that you keep bringing up is dated, primarily dealing with commerce, and can easily be challanged in regards to off-highway travel. You're not looking at the big picture. You're finding cases that validate you're argument. A good lawyer, or any researcher, looks at the alternatives too. When has this argument been defeated before? Is there case law, or precidents that have been set that contradict the ones that support my case or argument. You're failing in every way in basic debating.

Old dated Case Law is as good as it today and is still the law, unless over ruled by another supreme court case.

You bring up a good point! I think finding more case law reguarding off-road use is a must! What i have shared is a small amount of research ive done. Yet my research still continues...

mbryson

Supporting Member
Not interested in becoming a blood sucking lawyer...

Old dated Case Law is as good as it today and is still the law, unless over ruled by another supreme court case.

You bring up a good point! I think finding more case law reguarding off-road use is a must! What i have shared is a small amount of research ive done. Yet my research still continues...

Interesting..... you sounding all edumacated and being a gwod speller and wurdsmith et all... Seems to come naturally to you

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
monkey, please respond to my posts about put up or shut up...

I will take vacation time to be a part of your big talking civil disobience.

At the same time, thank you for removing all doubt of your ingnorance...

I don't have to play nice anymore.

ahem....

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If you willingly travel on closed routes you are slapping the face of hundreds, if not thousands of people who are diligently working hard to have laws updated, change and/or overturned to re-open those routes and/or prevent other routes from future closures. Plain and simple. We will police our own if needed, you know, for the "greater good".

Status
Not open for further replies.