Utah Senate Bill 51, and what it really says about Vintage Vehicles

Pile of parts

This caught my eye, so I just re-read through the entire bill. I still see no specific mileage allowance for Vintage Vehicles anywhere in it; just the requirement for collector insurance (for cars newer than 1980 model year).
I read somewhere they were looking at 1500 miles a year. I don't know how they track that???

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I read somewhere they were looking at 1500 miles a year. I don't know how they track that???
two thoughts,
#1 record you miles the first time they pull you over, then take away your birthday when you get pulled over a second time with more that 1500 miles in 365 days... :rolleyes:

#2 if we can get 1500 trail miles on our CJs it is going to be one hell of a good year. :D

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
two thoughts,
#1 record you miles the first time they pull you over, then take away your birthday when you get pulled over a second time with more that 1500 miles in 365 days... :rolleyes:

#2 if we can get 1500 trail miles on our CJs it is going to be one hell of a good year. :D

In my E.B., the speedometer head was replaced, so I would already have to disclose that it's not the actual miles (if I ever sold it).
I guess in my case, it wouldn't matter much if my speedometer cable accidentally fell off for "some time".. ;)

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
So, I just got off a VERY short virtual meeting with the DMV regarding registration for my 91 landcruiser.
I was told that before I could obtain registration, I needed to have an emissions cert. I was told this is "as of January 1st".
I had told the DMV that I wanted to register it as a vintage vehicle.

I could not find any documentation about this. Am I missing something obvious?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
30-40 years require testing, Over 40 years don’t I believe. At least that’s how it was back when it started.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
30-40 years require testing, Over 40 years don’t I believe. At least that’s how it was back when it started.

Utah 41-21-1 defines a vintage vehicle as:

"Vintage vehicle" means a motor vehicle or motorcycle that:
(i)is 30 years old or older from the current year;
(ii)displays:
(A)a unique vehicle type special group license plate issued in accordance with Section 41-1a-418; or
(B)for a vehicle that has a model year of 1980 or older, a historical support special group plate; and

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Utah 41-21-1 defines a vintage vehicle as:

"Vintage vehicle" means a motor vehicle or motorcycle that:
(i)is 30 years old or older from the current year;
(ii)displays:
(A)a unique vehicle type special group license plate issued in accordance with Section 41-1a-418; or
(B)for a vehicle that has a model year of 1980 or older, a historical support special group plate; and

1674493274808.png

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Good info, thanks.

It doesn't tell the whole story though.

For Utah County:

Exemptions (for emissions)​

• New vehicles with an MSO
  • Any vehicle with a model year 1967 & older
  • Implement of husbandry (Farm) vehicles
  • Any vehicle used for maintenance or construction and not designed or licensed to operate on the highway
  • Any motorcycle or motor driven cycle
  • Electric vehicles
  • Diesel powered vehicles with a model year 1997 & older
  • Off highway vehicles
  • Any diesel vehicle with a GVWR greater than 14,000 lbs.
  • Diesel vehicles 2019 and newer
  • Vintage vehicles model year 1980 & older or custom vehicles
Note: A vintage vehicle that has a model year of 1981 or newer is required to provide proof of an emissions inspection OR provide proof of vehicle insurance that is a type specific to a collector vehicle. See form TC-745, Vintage Vehicle Insurance Affidavit for more information.

Form TC-745 goes on to say:

1674495767958.png

Off to Haggerty I go! (that's who I insure my Early Bronco through).

Last edited: