Utility/ small car hauler trailer build.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I built this trailer to sell. Thought I'd share.

Building it beafy enough to be a large utility trailer, or ATV/ UTV trailer or even a small car/ 4x4.
Picked this up from my neighbor as a starting point.

Picked up some 2"x6"s and fenders

First thing was to add a few more boxed cross members and side supports and fenders.

And I cut myself... spinning around a fender support
some super glue and butterfly bandages later

Serviced the tongue jack

And the baby got into the wet paint....

Welded up all the extra crossmembers.

and about a dozen hours later with wire brush and angle grinder and a paintbrush.

Apparently "black" means "yellow".... or I can't read

(I fixed it.)

Deck on

and coated with boiled linseed oil.

Hubs serviced and painted.

Looks like this is a 5200lb axle and has nice big brakes.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I think it turned out pretty good. If anyone is interested, it's for sale as soon as the deck coating dries out.

Spare tire mount and new spare. All the tires are about this good now.

Anyways, a fun project over a couple weekends, since I can't ride dirtbikes or do any heavy lifting for a while.
Hope you guys enjoy.:D

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Dimensions on the deck are 88" wide x 167" long. Decked portion of the tongue adds 35" length.
Inside fenders is 74". They are probably beefy enough to drive over.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Looks great! You always make this stuff look too easy.

I'm curious, how do you apply boiled linseed oil? Pour it over the top and catch the drippings or brush it on?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Looks great! You always make this stuff look too easy.

I'm curious, how do you apply boiled linseed oil? Pour it over the top and catch the drippings or brush it on?

Ha thanks, that's the magic of the interwebs. This one went faster than my last trailer because I didn't get crazy and do angled cross-members.
7fdc74b2-7aba-4005-871a-7397f2895bff_zpsd0566380.jpg

https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?102544-Brand-New-Utility-Offroad-trailer&highlight=trailer

I spray the boiled linseed with a weed sprayer and then I use a paint roller with a coarse nap to roll it evenly.
I got the idea from Skippy about 4 years ago and I use it to do both my trailers once a year.
The tricky thing is it takes about 3 days to dry so you have to keep the kids and animals away, but the finish is awesome and it smells good too.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Do you guys think I'm priced too high? I tried to go lower-middle of the road on price, but haven't had much interest?

Do you think adding bed rails might make it more attractive to a potential buyer?

dutchman

KI7KSV
I'm not "in the market" for a trailer, but a good deal is a good deal. Having bed rails like the ksl add above would make your trailer more of what I'd be looking for.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Its the axle and rims. Most people look at that and think Mobile Home axles.

That's good feedback, I wish that wasn't a preconceived notion because they're much beefier and have brakes where most utility trailer do not.
Plus they're 15" rims so any regular tire fits.

I'm not "in the market" for a trailer, but a good deal is a good deal. Having bed rails like the ksl add above would make your trailer more of what I'd be looking for.

Good feedback. I may do a front rail first or maybe just drop the price a little. I need my concrete pad back for another project.

Seven

when I look at that trailer the big distractors are: The rims I have never owned anything with those kind of mounts. I don't know anything about them. They could be better or they could be worse. I have no idea. They would seem harder too find a replacement for and there really isn't much way to customize or make them look different.

There doesn't seem to be any tie down points, or at least from the picture it doesn't. How do I secure anything to it? It needs rails or at the minimum 4(more is better) visible tiedown spots.

its a personal preference thing but I don't understand why you extended the boards on part of the tongue. I think the trailer would look better if it was a straight line across the front.

There is no storage. Adding some sort of small box on the front would make it more desirable.

otherwise it is a nice looking trailer with a beefier axle than most single axle and has brakes.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Thanks for the feedback.
I ran the boards to the tongue so it's easier to step over. It's a bit of a pain to step into the tongue then up over to get across or accessing the front of your load on most trailers.
I'll probably build a front rail and throw on a bunch of tie downs on at least.
The wheels are pretty common at any trailer and rv place.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Thanks for the feedback.
I ran the boards to the tongue so it's easier to step over. It's a bit of a pain to step into the tongue then up over to get across or accessing the front of your load on most trailers.
I'll probably build a front rail and throw on a bunch of tie downs on at least.
The wheels are pretty common at any trailer and rv place.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The tricky thing is it takes about 3 days to dry so you have to keep the kids and animals away, but the finish is awesome and it smells good too.

If you add some Japan Dryer (avail. in most paint stores, HD included) it will cure faster. Just beware spontaneous combustion of anything used to apply it.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
with any curing oil such as what you are using, the potential is still there. The issue is most common with rags wadded up and dumped in the trash. Two easy solutions are to lay rags flat to dry or burn them.

rholbrook

I have some linseed oil for anyone needing some. I will not use the gallon I have left over from oiling my trailer and I am tired of hanging on to stuff. It is free.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I finally pulled this out of storage and did some improvements based on your recommendations.
Front rail and stake Pockets so someone could add bedsides.
Then I sold it faster. Should have done all this a while ago lol.
IMG_20180411_104206.jpgIMG_20180411_131210.jpg
IMG_20180411_165609.jpg