UTV roll cage wanted!

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I have a Yamaha viking 6 that needs a new roll cage after I maybe rolled it yesterday.
IMG_20191011_183258262.jpg

Luckily it was just me, but if a passenger was in the front they'd have a serious headache right now. I can order a new one from Yamaha...but after seeing it fail I'd prefer to get something not made of exhaust pipe.

Also, seems like a good time to add a roof rack, light bar mount, etc.

I called Sandworks in Kaysville, sounds like they could get me all set. But before I went in that direction I thought I'd check in here to see if anyone wants to make some extra bucks and Fab this for me?

John

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wow, that's no good! I've heard the stock SxS cages aren't good for much in the event of a rollover. Was that a pretty low speed roll? Glad you walked away!

Far as a replacement, I'd have one fabbed. @spencurai might be knowledgeable on where to look. @Vonski is pretty much the lead engineer for SxS parts at Rocky Mountain ATV, not sure if they have a cage for the Yamaha's though. I'd highly recommend the skilled fabricators @ImpulseOffroad , John Williams has assembled a crew of guys that knock out amazing tube fab work, it's the best you'll find in SLC. I'd give them a call @ (801) five99-one609.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I was going slow on a really sketchy trail that I shouldn't have attempted, and slid off the side, completed two full rolls, landing upside down in a shallow icy creek. Very bad judgement on my part, and I was extremely lucky to walk away. Machine was also lucky, and after being winched out of the gully drove out of the mountains without any problems except a crushed cage.

I think if I had known how much the OEM cage was capable of failing I wouldn't have been so daring. Assuming it would be like those race car drivers who roll 50 times, then get out with a victory fist in the air while the stadium erupts around them, I sort of thought the worst case scenario was just some mechanical repairs and a day of adventurous vehicle extraction. Now I'm glad to have the use of my legs, and that I had my father get out of the passenger seat before I tried it.

SO, while a replacement Yamaha cage is the fastest and simplest fix, I have given it a vote of no confidence for the safety of my family. I've also given my driving a vote of no confidence, but that's an aside.