Vehicle Air Conditioning question

J-mobzz

So I'm far from an expert on vehicle air conditioning and could use some feedback from you guys. The van I picked up in January has a separate belt to drive the ac pump from the main serpentine belt. It is missing so I just assumed it had issues. I haven't put gauges on it but the system does have pressure when I hit the valve. The ac compressor spins freely. I guess it's possible at 200,000 miles the belt just broke and wasn't replaced. So before I throw a belt on and try it is there anything else I should check or do?

J-mobzz

Maybe energize the clutch on the compressor, make sure it engages.

- DAA
Okay so that makes sense it would spin freely with the clutch not engaged. So I would have to start the vehicle turn on the ac then see if it spins?

Reactions: DAA

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
What Dave said. If the charge is low it will prevent the clutch from engaging so you don't burn the pump up. Jumping the relay should send power right to the coil for a real quick test. If you still don't have a belt on it you could jump the coil and then try to rotate the pump by hand. It should be difficult to turn, but it should turn.

J-mobzz

So I picked up a belt and started tearing into it so I could get access. Once in a realized it had a belt tensioner for the ac belt unlike my older 5.3 in a Silverado it came with a stretch fit belt. The tensioner was seized. I replaced it added the new belt and boom air conditioning works. I love it when it’s a simple fix. I originally planned on swapping lines and compressor thinking it would be several hundred dollars to fix. $60 and it’s blowing cold.

thanks everyone for the help! Much appreciated.

AD2B707B-1946-4B61-A7F9-34E2CA2672F2.jpeg