Vehicle Recovery Question

00Buck

Went camping with our friends that have a 200something furd exploder. Anyway the roads where like grease. Where in the hell do you hook a tow strap too on something that doesn't have any tow hooks? I wouldn't want to ruin someones IFS.

Also I have a 3/8 chain that I carry as back up. But it has a bad link in the middle- how do I fix it?

Last edited:

Dart

Banned
That is a question I would like to hear. My truck is the only thing with out tow hooks. As for the chain, loose it. YOu can buy repair links but they scare me.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
If they don't have tow points- which they should- I usually wrap around the frame. I have seen some bent control arms so don't do that

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
on the ford explorer there is a frame member that goes across the front about where the front of the engine sits... I have attached straps to that before... just don't go under the front plastic piece you have to go thru the grill with the strap otherwise it tears off that plastic piece.

00Buck

All I see on the exploder is plastic. I thought for shipping purposes that all vehicles had some sort of hook.

I must confess that I pulled a furd mustang out of the mud with a strap around his nice rims.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Like others have said.... But I wouldn't toss it out, I'd just cut the bad link out and then you have two small chains. Either way, don't use the chain as it is, or replace the damaged link.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
i would go and get a couple of transporter hook sets

TC-1.jpg

they are what tow truck drivers use to hold vehicles down to their flatbeds when towing.i have a set for when i'm towing different vehicles on my trailer .they come in very handy .the one thing i would say is to use them in pairs one on each side of the vehicle to help disperse the load evenly on to both frame rails.also they are only good for a static load not a shock load

bruzer

I would loose the chain all together. If it was to break while yanking on somebody that is stuck, it could cause some serious damage to your vehicle or there vehicle or anybody that might be standing around. Go get yourself a good tow strap and some good D-rings. It's the safest way to go, and it will never rust.

Bart

i would go and get a couple of transporter hook sets

TC-1.jpg

they are what tow truck drivers use to hold vehicles down to their flatbeds when towing.i have a set for when i'm towing different vehicles on my trailer .they come in very handy .the one thing i would say is to use them in pairs one on each side of the vehicle to help disperse the load evenly on to both frame rails.also they are only good for a static load not a shock load

I would tow (use as tie downs) with these, but don't think I'd try a recovery with them. They may be fine, but they sure look cheezy to me. I even have a set.

Meat_

Banned
I would tow (use as tie downs) with these, but don't think I'd try a recovery with them. They may be fine, but they sure look cheezy to me. I even have a set.

They aren't as strong as the chain (if it's a good chain) but they are stronger than the frame. I've seen hooks like those tear truck frames, without bending themselves.

Edit: after looking at the ones in that picture I guess I should add that I was talking about a quality verison of those.

Last edited:

Badger

I am the Brute squad

i'm not saying anything serious by any means .but for helping to keep a vehicle straight on a greasyroad they would do fine.its all dependant on the situation.i yes that set does look cheesy to my set .i was just posting a pic to give an idea of what i was talking about