Vertical bender update

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
There are a few of you who have the same, or similar tubing bender I do. (@muleskinner @skippy come to mind at the moment) I built mine in 2012, and a couple years ago I started using it less for custom stuff, and more for repeat/production stuff which necessitated more speed and repeatability than I could get using the air/hydro ram.

So here's short vid showing it today.

And for comparison, here's an old video showing how fast it bent before.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I watched earlier and didn't realize you were still running the same ram as before, just plumbed into the hand pump part. (didn't have my sound on at work) That's awesome!

I'll echo what Greg said, we need part numbers :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've been considering for a while putting a better air over hydro foot pedal on mine... I'm wondering if it would be worth it just to convert the existing ram like you did to do this. I'm guessing it won't be as fast or quiet as the one you have, but for half the price I think I might give it a whirl.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
This type of hydraulic pump isn't going to be ideal for everyone. It is fast, but not very controllable if you're trying to get to a specific bend angle. A normal setup that has the pump running all the time allows you to feather or bump the control valve to get just a little more bend. Since this one pumps when the motor runs, that also means it "coasts" a bit when you cut power.

For my purposes it's fine, since I rely on the limit switch to stop it, and once I get the bend dialed in they all end up the same...but for one-off stuff it can be frustrating.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Im sure you could plumb in a jogger valve with a return back into the reservoir. Ive always wanted to plumb in a orbital valve so i a can turn a wheel to bend and turn it back to return.

muleskinner

That thing is moving! My electric/hydro is slower, but as you mentioned it's much more controllable. My hydraulic pump setup is from an old iron worker machine that someone on here sold me years ago.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Im sure you could plumb in a jogger valve with a return back into the reservoir. Ive always wanted to plumb in a orbital valve so i a can turn a wheel to bend and turn it back to return.

That would be kinda cool. Turn the wheel just a little, to get just a little more bend....

That thing is moving! My electric/hydro is slower, but as you mentioned it's much more controllable. My hydraulic pump setup is from an old iron worker machine that someone on here sold me years ago.

The speed and repeatability are what I was after. When I have 200 bends to do, seconds per bend count. :)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
So what is it that you you are producing?

They're components of a larger assembly, there are probably about 8 different parts I make. Some are 1" tube, some 1.25". Some have two bends in them, some just one, and varying angles--all have a matching notch at the end. Unfortunately nothing very interesting, but they do give my bender and notcher a workout. :)