Visiting Salt Lake City in October - trail recommendations for rental jeep?

Maverick302

Hello guys,

I stumbled on this awesome resource of a forum while doing research on what to do while in UT. I will be spending 3 days with my dad in Tooele, and I'll have at least 2 days open for leisure. I think one day we want to rent some SxS's (open to suggestions here as well), but I definitely want to experience some of the offroading the area has to offer. We will be in a rental Jeep JK, so capabilities will be limited. I have found quite a few suggestions but would like to get some updated information on trail openings and general conditions. We will be there 10/8-10/10.

GPS coordinates and routes are appreciated if you have them. If anyone is interested in joining us, that would be great as well. Thanks in advance!

Maverick302

Based on the research I have done, some of the better possibilities might be Skyline Dr / Old Ward Canyon, Five Mile Pass / Black Rock Canyon, and Mary Ellen Gulch. Can anyone tell me if the conditions will be ok in October? I read some of the trails see some pretty good snow. Also, are any of these out of the capabilities of a stock JK, and not likely to cause damage?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Those are all fun trail options, but nobody can tell you definitively what trail conditions will be in October. There is a chance some of the higher elevations could be snowed in by then, but there is also a good chance that they are open and clear.

Assuming winter hasn't hit too hard yet, all of those trails can be made in a stock JK as long as you are a competent driver.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Excellent response, thank you. Would you recommend one above the others, if I were to only have one day for wheeling?

My personal choice would probably be Skyline Drive as long as you're talking about the Skyline Drive in the Fairview/Manti area, but if you've only got one day that includes your travel to/from Tooele, that doesn't leave you much time to explore. If you're talking about the often-referred-to-as Skyline Drive near Bountiful I am no help, because I haven't spent much time around there or the Old Ward Canyon area. 5-Mile is close to Tooele, but I'm not a huge fan - too overrun and overused. Black Rock canyon is neat and close to Tooele, so that's a good one - not epic or super scenic, but still cool. Mary Ellen is awesome, and relatively close, but the road to get there up American Fork Canyon may be crowded if you're headed up there on a weekend - that said it'd still be high on my list.

rholbrook

Old Ward Canyon isn't long enough but you could take it up to Buckland Campground and then follow the main road up to the top and over to Farmington Canyon for a nice drive. Anything up American Fork Canyon is nice. Skyline drive would be a really nice option. Go up Payson Canyon too.

Maverick302

I will likely have a half day Sunday morning, a full day Monday, and possibly some time tuesday after we rent some SxS's. Maybe I should try Black Rock or Old Ward Canyon on Sunday and Mary Ellen on Monday?

Didn't know there were two distinct Skyline Drive's, but I was referring to the one near Bountiful. Fairview is a bit of a trek for one day.

Houndoc

Not much of an off-road experience, but for a great taste of the west desert consider Pony Express Trail and its off shoots.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
... while doing research on what to do while in UT. I will be spending 3 days with my dad in Tooele, and I'll have at least 2 days open for leisure.

Since you're obviously not from Utah, where do you live? We will try to recommend the best scenery that won't remind you of home (hopefully).

Maverick302

Since you're obviously not from Utah, where do you live? We will try to recommend the best scenery that won't remind you of home (hopefully).

Southeast PA. Absolutely no comparison, especially since most of my trail experience is in the coal mines. I did a cross-country trip to California and back a few years ago with the dirt bikes in tow, everything in CA, NV, UT, and CO was amazing.