Volkswagen TDI talk

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Nice find!

No first hand experience but I've heard of people using a hammer and punch to tap around the fitting to tighten it back up then using JB weld to seal it.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have seen Hans Auto Parts referenced several times on the forums and found a new vacuum pump on eBay from them for $92. I bought it and will install a new one over trying to fix this one.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
UPS shows that my vacuum pump will show up tomorrow so I decided to tear off the one that is on there. Once I got it off a case of the "while I am in here" hit me and I decided to tear the EGR valve and intake off for a cleaning. I have put around 35K on this car since I bought it and I cannot recall if the PO had cleaned it. Once apart I found a decent amount of build up but nothing like I have seen in some of the YouTube videos I watched.

EGR valve

Intake

Based on what I found it is safe to say it has been cleaned but it won't hurt to clean it out now.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I didn't take any pictures of cleaning it, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I watched a few YouTube videos and used the method of cleaning out as much of the build up possible manually then filling the manifold with gas and letting it soak over night. After it sat I poured out the gas and after about a half our of sitting I went about using a propane torch and comperessed air to burn out the remaining build up. Once that was done, I flattened a wire hanger and used a drill to run it through all the ports and runners. I was surprised how much build up was in there.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Finally fixed my low boost issue. The vacuum pump did not solve the problem even though the vacuum stabilized. The last piece of the puzzle besides the turbo itself was the N75 vacuum solenoid. I ordered one from idparts and installed it Wednesday night. All is good and the car is running great.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Finally fixed my low boost issue. The vacuum pump did not solve the problem even though the vacuum stabilized. The last piece of the puzzle besides the turbo itself was the N75 vacuum solenoid. I ordered one from idparts and installed it Wednesday night. All is good and the car is running great.

Glad you got it figured out Paul!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am now getting a CEL related to the EGR. Rather than fix it I would rather delete it. Do any of you know anyone in Utah or Salt Lake county that can take care of flashing the computer?

Pretty sure elf over at streamline industries said it can be turned down by updating the computer's settings. He recommended that rather than turning it completely off.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I'm back on the hunt for a TDI, going to be giving up the company car and doing a lot of commuting in the next little while. I found a 99.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed, no bells and whistles, looks in decent shape but haven't seen it in person yet. Has 225k, owner says it currently has a CEL for glow plugs, no biggie if that's all it is. What would you value it at? I was surprised when I looked up blue book, seems like the market kind of fell out on these. I'm partial to the MK4's. Blue book was only $2200, if its in as good as shape as it looks, and the CEL is only glow plugs I was thinking $2500 ish

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
Personally I think the Blue Book value on these cars is wrong.

When I bought my 04 it had 107k miles on it and was in great shape and it booked for like $1800 I think it was?

It was a grate car with low miles and had been well taken care of so i paid what I felt its worth, witch really is what KBB bases their information off of.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I did the glow plugs on my '04 no biggie. Not sure on clutch replacement I'll have to see the pedal travel when I check it out. Also says the timing belt was done 35k ago

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Well i'm back in the club, while looking at Jetta's a Golf popped up. Jetta's were in worse shape than pictures, and one had been toyed with too much, lots of splices and weird stuff under the hood. Took a look at a golf, was in pretty decent shape, owner has had it for the last 10 years. Little negotiating and ended up paying less than blue book. As a bonus before I left he gave me two boxes filled with oil filters, spare lights, rim center caps and misc stuff. Its an '02 5 speed GLS TDI

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Okay have a question for you fellas, didn't pop in the test drive because I didn't really push it or get up to very high speed because its seemed fine in first couple gears. 02' ALH 5 speed 238k, first gear power band is fine, 2nd gear mostly fine. 3rd the thing starts falling on its face around 2600 RPM, really bad in 4th and 5th (starting around 2600 rpm). I discovered this when driving up Parleys and it was struggling to hold speed, I remembered my previous TDI's having no issue.

Rooted around and found a cracked vacuum hose coming off the vacuum pump, fixed that, verified the waste gate is operating properly, and no vacuum leaks on the N75. Pulled the MAF and it looks pretty clean. I've searched the interwebs to find lots of people having this issue, but no one ever posts a resolution. No CEL.

To tell you how much it falls on its face, after finding the vacuum leak and taking it back out for a test drive I got on 215 east belt going down hill 80mph wide open throttle in 4th and the rpm's won't even go above 3200, in 5th down hill WOT it won't get to 3k.

I've spoken with a mechanic friend who has a theory, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sounds to me like you're loosing boost pressure, somewhere.... could be a crack in the piping around the intercooler, possibly the intercooler itself. Or it may be carbon buildup in the intake, restricting flow at higher speeds.

I'd get underneath it and check all your intercooler piping, clamps, etc.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Sounds to me like you're loosing boost pressure, somewhere.... could a crack in the piping around the intercooler, possibly the intercooler itself. Or it may be carbon buildup in the intake, restricting flow at higher speeds.

I'd get underneath it and check all your intercooler piping, clamps, etc.

Just did another test run to try the boost theory, manifold pressure goes to 30 and holds until I hit the said RPM band then drops and starts to slowly rise so I don't think its boost being lost. I tried lugging the motor and the manifold pressure holds all through the rpm until it gets to the 2700ish mark. I made a really crappy video of the scan gauge and didn't realize I bumped the rpm to volts until I was done. Commute traffic was building so I decided to abstain from another distracted WOT run until traffic lightens up. I brought up the clogged manifold theory to my mechanic friend and his opinion that would probably show more through the whole band. its really feels normal and then just straight up falls on its face.

[video=youtube_share;d7gJrh27Wpk]https://youtu.be/d7gJrh27Wpk[/video]

Last edited: