Volkswagen TDI talk

2002maniac

The bigger turbo (brand new VNT17) and injectors really wake these cars up!

It has the EGR delete and I’m thinking I’ll go with a Malone stage 4 tune.
That should be really strong once you tune it! The VNT17 wont make any more than stock boost without a tune. Which injectors did you go with?

Mine will hit 300k in the next month. It's still stock minus a straight pipe exhaust. Trying to plan a turbo, injectors, and tune soon.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So the injectors were installed by the po and they’re the bostech .216’s as it turns out.

On that note... The turbo exploded on the highway a few days ago :rofl: Yep I gambled with a cheap diesel and lost. I think I put maybe 15-20 easy miles on it and then at 40mph cruising—boom—lots of smoke. Snapped the exhaust wheel completely off! My guess is it ran too bad for too long and between the stock tuning, big-ish .216 injectors, clogged snow screen, clogged air filter (to put it lightly) and a fast and furious driver the thing was a ticking time bomb.

Looking at mild injectors, tune and an S7 Borg-Warner turbo. I think the car is worth fixing I just need to make sure the rest of the engine is good before I sink any money into it.

This is the second TDI I’ve seen with a completely blocked off snow screen... if you guys haven’t already it’s super easy to check.

The_Lobbster

Not sure if this counts to post this here, but I put new nozzles in for my samurai injectors today.

32913789887_6aaac2656b_c.jpg

2002maniac

Did you have them tested and balanced? I've been wanting to upgrade the nozzles in my tdi but I'm not sure if I can get away with intalling them myself.

The_Lobbster

Did you have them tested and balanced? I've been wanting to upgrade the nozzles in my tdi but I'm not sure if I can get away with intalling them myself.
I did not. There is a few reason I didn't, firstly, because this is just my offroad toy, second is because it's near impossible to buy shims for them, plus I don't have a pop tester. You're better off taking it to a shop, or just sending them in to a dealer and having them done. That said, there's quite a few people online that have just done them themselves without getting them pop tested and balanced, and have 100k plus miles on them. Not saying I did it right necessarily, but it's seemed to work for other peeps.

2002maniac

Yeah. I've heard mixed results with just swapping nozzles. My daily ALH just hit 300k on Monday and I'm trying to work out some maintenance/mods to throw at it soon.

I think it's time for a bigger turbo, nozzles, and tune!

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
It’s been a little time consuming but I was able to get the timing and injection quantity etc dead on. She runs very good and even with a mild tune I’m surprised by the extra power.. on that note I’m pricing out clutches—doh! :neutral:

Went island hopping this morning. Windows down, sunroof open.. sure miss Utah but I can’t complain.

Attachments

• 341E6298-7938-4A2D-B5C0-1DBB943F4806.jpeg
    341E6298-7938-4A2D-B5C0-1DBB943F4806.jpeg
    567.2 KB · Views: 20

The_Lobbster

Thinking about buying this Golf. 2002, 202k miles, engine supposedly replaced 50k miles ago. Got hit on passenger side and totalled because of it. Guy is selling it for $800. It's located in Spokane, WA. I want it, but I don't think my wife is a huge fan of the idea. Still undecided if I should pull the trigger. Seller is in no rush to sell, and doesn't even have it listed, so it's just sitting in the mean time haha.

48038911847_b558e79d68_c.jpg

48038806821_3cc740d936_c.jpg

48038849213_12071952df_c.jpg

48038915302_7cda24b84f_c.jpg

48038852943_73a09736c2_c.jpg

48038852953_122f8769c7_c.jpg

The_Lobbster

I think a detail/cleanup job would go a long way to getting the wife onboard. Those seats look like a dryer has been venting in the car for a few months.
I completely agree. Aside from the accident damage, the exterior looks pretty straight. I’m not sure how the guy let it get that dirty. I actually did get the okay to buy it, but I have to pay for it myself if I want it, she said no to dipping into savings for it haha.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
So My wife started working part time but commutes and says her 04 honda van is drinking too much fuel. I started looking @ TDI Passats. Any thing or years to stay away from. All I have learned so far is the motors are slightly different from 13-15. 15 comes with backup camera. 15 being the most fuel efficient supposedly. Passat because @ 6ft 7 and 270ish I still fit and a kid can sit behind me. Plus mileage seems to be fantastic. These are all post fixed emissions stuff.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've been looking at the wagons, would love to get one but 4 cars in the driveway has put a damper on a new one. I'm not aware of any issues with the 13-15 models.