Volkswagen TDI talk

Made a big move over the weekend. The transmission is getting tired in my Jetta and one of my sons wants to keep milking the engine up to half a million miles from it's current 336k.

I bought a buyback 2015 Passat TDI and drove it back from Seattle. Got around 42 mpg on the way back. Love the room in this car!

johnsonbz

Made a big move over the weekend. The transmission is getting tired in my Jetta and one of my sons wants to keep milking the engine up to half a million miles from it's current 336k.

I bought a buyback 2015 Passat TDI and drove it back from Seattle. Got around 42 mpg on the way back. Love the room in this car!

Did you buy the manual?

The_Lobbster

I'm a bit of a TDI fanatic. I've TDI swapped two suzuki samurai's, and have had a handful of other vw TDI's and just standard diesels. Also I've helped about 25 people do either TDI swaps into their samurais, crawlers, pickups, or just VW cars.
46602204781_10e7e8536e_b.jpg

42056731124_94333016ec_b.jpg

2002maniac

My 02 golf ALH has been serving me well. I've put almost 20k on it since I bought it in March 2018. I just had my worst tank (43mpg) last week. :cool: It's typically been closer to 50.

Besides routine maintenance, it's needed nothing.

JK2NV

I just bought a buyback diesel that was fixed it drives just like the 2012 tdi I had this one is a 2014 different tuning and it has a after burner on it if it’s non def model so everyone beside passat

Attachments

• F71C50FB-062A-49A5-AB11-9AAFAB7F7C7D.jpeg
    F71C50FB-062A-49A5-AB11-9AAFAB7F7C7D.jpeg
    908.5 KB · Views: 13
D

Deleted member 12904

So I’m wanting to put together a solo urban explorer type rig that I can log some serious road trip miles, see some cool places and still fit a single sleep platform in. I’m really thinking a Jetta tdi wagon. They seems stupid cheap, have the room for what I want and from what I understand get fantastic mpg.

So what do I need to watch out for when shopping for one? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Those Jetta Wagons are awesome, try get a manual transmission. They're heavier than the sedan and get a bit less mileage and the auto won't help there either.

The '06-07(?) cars had the BRM engine and some of them had cam issues.

Make sure the timing belt has been changed on schedule, if it feels low on power the EGR has probably clogged the intake.

The_Lobbster

04-07 pump deuse motors, BEW, BRM, suck, cam issues up the wazoo. The 2009+ common rail engines are much better. I test drove a 2011 a few weeks back, with the auto, and I loved it. Totally would have bought it if they had actually offered anything for my trade lol.

D

Deleted member 12904

Thanks guys! I’m definitely looking at like 13-14 with lower miles. My current 18 Jetta with a gas engine has so far easily been my favorite commuter car ever be ever owned.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I picked up an 01 Jetta a few days ago. Full of rust, horribly neglected and it barely made it home because it ran so poorly... yikes.

$1400 seems like a fair price though. After some adjustments via VCDS and a major tuneup it runs really nice. The bigger turbo (brand new VNT17) and injectors really wake these cars up!

It has the EGR delete and I’m thinking I’ll go with a Malone stage 4 tune.

So far I’ve found seven frogs, two geckos and a few other lizards that have made it their home... Floriduh problems lol.