Volkswagen TDI talk

So My wife started working part time but commutes and says her 04 honda van is drinking too much fuel. I started looking @ TDI Passats. Any thing or years to stay away from. All I have learned so far is the motors are slightly different from 13-15. 15 comes with backup camera. 15 being the most fuel efficient supposedly. Passat because @ 6ft 7 and 270ish I still fit and a kid can sit behind me. Plus mileage seems to be fantastic. These are all post fixed emissions stuff.

I bought a 15 Passat last year. We love the space in it and the mileage has been great! Not as good as my old Jetta, but very good! Don't love the fact that it needs DEF. Problems so far are it has a little fuel leak underneath and the heater core is plugged on it (chronic problem with these) at less than 50k miles. I'm not sure if any of these problems will be handled by the diesel gate extended warranty. Discussion on TDIClub.com seems to indicate not.

The_Lobbster

Some people are reportedly having issues with the HPFP on the 2.0 common rails. Similar issues to what the LML Duramax CP4 engines have. But if the car has been "fixed" it should be covered under warranty, for however long that warranty is.

The_Lobbster

I have a problem with staying away from TDI’s. Picked up this 98 with 213k tonight. Doesn’t run, but I think I know what the issue is, hoping it’s a simple fix. I got it really really cheap, if I have to part it out later, I can still make money back. Have receipts from 2003-present. Added them all up to find the past two owners have spent $25,615 servicing it. That doesn’t even include the first 5 years of its life! Has had wheel bearings done like 4 separate occasions, lost count of how many sets of tires I have receipts for.

Attachments

• 510D6EB2-0EB4-4986-9C2D-0A9C3C298EF9.jpeg
    510D6EB2-0EB4-4986-9C2D-0A9C3C298EF9.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 17
  • 8151E1CE-7AB1-44BD-BDE9-4129C5D3DF2C.jpeg
    8151E1CE-7AB1-44BD-BDE9-4129C5D3DF2C.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 27F336F1-4C71-4B77-BF44-0D2580F3758D.png
    27F336F1-4C71-4B77-BF44-0D2580F3758D.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 13

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I purchased my wife a post scandal 2013 VW Passat. 36k miles. Has a scandal warranty on it. Averages 36-37. Drove it to Ca and back and only had one fuel stop. 620 miles on one tank. That's with a loaded car of 2 adults 3 kids and the truck stuffed. We have been pretty happy with it.

The_Lobbster

I purchased my wife a post scandal 2013 VW Passat. 36k miles. Has a scandal warranty on it. Averages 36-37. Drove it to Ca and back and only had one fuel stop. 620 miles on one tank. That's with a loaded car of 2 adults 3 kids and the truck stuffed. We have been pretty happy with it.
Been looking at one of those too, unfortunately I’m still upside down in my suburban and haven’t been able to swing another car payment. And it seems lately that dealers want a ton of money for those cars!!!

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Been looking at one of those too, unfortunately I’m still upside down in my suburban and haven’t been able to swing another car payment. And it seems lately that dealers want a ton of money for those cars!!!
I paid 13k or rather 12 because if we did finance with them but still our credit union they gave us 1000 off.

The_Lobbster

I'm in the middle of replacing an oil cooler hose, looks like this --> https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ATM1J0121086R

For some reason I see it for a Jetta and Golf but nothing for a Beetle. I'm not a fan of spring clamps at this point.
What year is your car?

edit: Looking now myself, I don't see it anywhere either. All the main tdi stores say it fits golf and jetta but not the new beetle. Strange.

Last edited:

2002maniac

I've had good luck with Idparts for TDI parts. I think one of those hoses is the one I hacked up when I installed my coolant heater. Great mod for the cold season.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've had good luck with Idparts for TDI parts. I think one of those hoses is the one I hacked up when I installed my coolant heater. Great mod for the cold season.
Stopped by Napa and they didn't have it, said a week out to get it in the store. Guy recommended checking Advanced auto and they actually showed the part for my car... for $243 :rolleyes:

So just a random question, why the bypass connecting the 2 tubes? is there something like a thermostat in the bottom or are they trying to limit flow of coolant?

The_Lobbster

The $300 TDI lives!! Shop had diagnosed it as a bad injection pump to previous owner, wanted like $2k to replace it. Ripped it apart and found pump had slipped timing belt a couple teeth. Amazingly the cam and crank were still on time! Belt is 10 years old and cracked, and was pretty loose when I first disassembled. Fired right up after retiming it! Just gotta order new belt, tensioner, idler and water pump now.

Attachments

• 78626FEB-0F77-4EC1-A4C4-4E229F0958BB.jpeg
    78626FEB-0F77-4EC1-A4C4-4E229F0958BB.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 13
  • D7E8E3FD-11D0-40EC-A26B-546705961E07.jpeg
    D7E8E3FD-11D0-40EC-A26B-546705961E07.jpeg
    628.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thought this was interesting, ran across this on Driving Line.

"While Volkswagen has no current plans to bring diesel back to the States, across the pond its oil-burners are selling once again. In Germany, diesel VW’s made up 43-percent of its overall sales in 2018, up from 39-percent the year before. On top of that, Volkswagen released the V8 diesel Touareg in the spring, an AWD, 416hp Cayenne-crusher that can tow more than 7,700 pounds. "

VW makes me... :rolleyes: Wish they'd bring diesels back to the States, they really screwed things up with the emissions scandal.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
It's not a bypass. They are just molded together for packaging reasons. The rubber tab between the hoses is solid rubber.
Thanks for the input, today I got fed up with not having it running and just bought 4' of 5/8" hose and put it back together. Cheapest price I could find the hose was the dealer for $191 which is hard to justify vs the $7 I spent.