Volkswagen TDI talk

The_Lobbster

Replaced water pump, timing belt, tensioners, valve cover gasket, serpentine belt, and water pump belt today. Runs pretty dang good. I accidentally shattered the fragile plastic CCV and PCV last week, and forgot to order new, so I just took the ones off my samurai engine for now since I’m not driving it. Added it to my insurance too. Liability with roadside assistance, and uninsured motorist coverage, it raised my monthly payment by $8.

Attachments

• D14539BA-3EA8-4600-8802-2223669983C3.jpeg
    D14539BA-3EA8-4600-8802-2223669983C3.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 10

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Looks like my next project is to replace the seals on the injector pump. found this thread:

Anybody done this that has anything to add other than what's on the thread? Ordered a kit and socket for the tamper resistant bolt. I'm kind of amazed it's something right on top I can get to vs every other thing I've done where I'm elbow deep in it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone else have experience with a post-emissions fix TDI? I'm back in the market, drove a '11 Jetta today.

Seemed like it was a bit soft on torque down low. Curious if they still get amazing mileage.

The_Lobbster

Anyone else have experience with a post-emissions fix TDI? I'm back in the market, drove a '11 Jetta today.

Seemed like it was a bit soft on torque down low. Curious if they still get amazing mileage.
From what I’ve seen, they’re derated to like 37mpg now.

The_Lobbster

Looks like my next project is to replace the seals on the injector pump. found this thread:

Anybody done this that has anything to add other than what's on the thread? Ordered a kit and socket for the tamper resistant bolt. I'm kind of amazed it's something right on top I can get to vs every other thing I've done where I'm elbow deep in it.
I’ve done it, it’s pretty easy. That thread is what I followed as well.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(

Monday I will be picking up an 13 passat tdi. I did a few test drives and its seems strong and on I-15 from woodscross to centerville the consumption gauge was showing 40+mpg while doing 70. There are tons of the down here in Utah. There is a dealer in orem that has 8 of them for sale, the place I am buying from has about 10 of them. The drive train has a 4/24k warranty.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota

My parents bought a 2012 golf TDI from a VW dealer after recall repairs were completed and are averaging 35-40mpg. I am interested in your thoughts on these cars because I am tempted to pick one up.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I’ve done it, it’s pretty easy. That thread is what I followed as well.
Did you have problems starting after? I'm about out of ideas to get this going again, not sure what to look at next to identify why it won't start. I ended up doing the bottom O-ring also and since then it won't start. I hooked a vacuum hose up and bled the pump, cracked the injector lines and got fuel. I'm down to did my solenoid go bad (can hear it click if I provide power) or something I'm missing

The_Lobbster

Did you have problems starting after? I'm about out of ideas to get this going again, not sure what to look at next to identify why it won't start. I ended up doing the bottom O-ring also and since then it won't start. I hooked a vacuum hose up and bled the pump, cracked the injector lines and got fuel. I'm down to did my solenoid go bad (can hear it click if I provide power) or something I'm missing
I didn’t. Not sure what might have happened other than if the pump is air locked or something.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I pointed it downhill and popped the clutch a couple times and got it going, it was sounding like it was missing so I ran it long enough to warm up and it sounds better now. Probably air trapped and needed extra help.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(

ok I have been driving my 2013 passat from Layton to Evanston, WY for work the past 3 weeks (except when the heavy snow fell.) and have been averaging 35mpg from Layton to Evanston and 47mpg from Evanston to Layton.... the computer says the average is 37mpg for the pass 3 weeks.

When its cold it hesitates for a second until the turbo spools up and then it takes off!

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I just acquired a 2012 golf tdi with 6 speed manual that still has a factory warranty. After looking into the after market tunes, I decide to go with Kermatdi. Before tune I was averaging about 37 mpg on my work commute after tune I am averaging 43 mpg on the same commute.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
So I have a question that someone on here might know. On colder mornings our 2013 Passat TDI has a loud ticking in the morning and when accelerating it shudders in the front end. When it get up to temp all these symptoms go away. Any ideas?

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
So I talked my wife into driving to slc ta a dealership that had a few, to test drive some TDI's, we found a nice silver passat, took it for a spin, ended up getting t-boned by a lincoln SUV. I was driving going through an intersection, and the lady driving the lincoln turning left plowed into me as if she didn't see me. Side air bags went off. I'm pretty sure the car will be totaled, but then we had the awkward moment of... Well we really liked that car... But ummm. Can we look at another 😆. Now I'm sitting at home with a mild concussion, and a bad head ach. Trying to figure out who's insurance will pay for the doctor visit.

PXL_20210415_174559030.jpgPXL_20210415_174549010.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Damn, that's crazy!

Hopefully the police were involved and she was ticketed.... that should help determine fault and responsibility. Her insurance should cover everything, including fixing or replacing the car with the dealership.