Volkswagen TDI talk

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I was really excited about my 50.9mpg fill up the other day until a girl from work told me her lame Prius got 54.somthing mpg... I responded with challenge accepted :D

Found a new page on FB and noticed this.. Anyone from RME going to attend?

10153115_636220293139553_4477083232087435747_n.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I was really excited about my 50.9mpg fill up the other day until a girl from work told me her lame Prius got 54.somthing mpg... I responded with challenge accepted :D

Found a new page on FB and noticed this.. Anyone from RME going to attend?

View attachment 90985

:cool: Those tires aren't 'low rolling resistance', when those BFG's wear out you ought to upgrade! I bet that'll give you a few more MPG's!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Preformed a manual transmission fluid change today which didn't go quite as planned. Called Napa and they said it calls for 75w-90 synthetic----fair enough. Drove to Logan to find they didn't have Mobil which is my preferred brand. Oh well I bought Redline 75w-90 instead and drove home. Get home and read 'not intended for use in manual transmissions' on the back of the bottle. Drove back to Logan and exchanged it for Valvoline synthetic which happens to be designed for transmissions--sweet. Drove back home dumped the fluid and refilled. Hit the road and ground every single gear in a bad way upshifting and downshifting. So I racked up 100+ miles and had to dump out fresh oil. Lame :rolleyes: Now I'm sitting here with no oil in the trans and the wife telling me we don't have any more money to spend on cars this week HA! :amy:

Jumped on the interwebs and find out I should have jumped on the interwebs in the first place. 75w-90 is recommended but it seems only Amsoil and the OEM fluid is worth a crap in these transmissions.

Moral of story: Just use what VW used. It's $13 a bottle (x2) and it works the way it was designed to--weird.

:cool: Those tires aren't 'low rolling resistance', when those BFG's wear out you ought to upgrade! I bet that'll give you a few more MPG's!

Gonna look into that :cool:

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
So... uhhh, not to make it worse but.... didn't I tell you that the transmission fluid was changed with OEM fluid when the clutch was done last year? I'm sure I mentioned it.

How did the 'old' fluid look? :rofl:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So... uhhh, not to make it worse but.... didn't I tell you that the transmission fluid was changed with OEM fluid when the clutch was done last year? I'm sure I mentioned it.

How did the 'old' fluid look? :rofl:

Haha serious? Nuts.. I don't remember. Well the fluid looked good at least :D

spencevans

Overlander
I bought a new 2009 Sportwagen TDI off the dealer lot. It has been a good car. It has the 2.0 engine which is much more powerful than the old 1.9 engines. I do hear rumors that there have been issues with the injection pumps but to my understanding it has occurred in less than 1% of vehicles. I have put 130k miles on mine and I have only had 2 issues. The rear door latch had to be replaced which set me back $200. The cruise control switch also needed to be replaced for $200. I average about 35mpg in mixed driving. On the open road it consistently averages 48mpg and I have seen up to 54mpg. From my understanding the 2005.5-06 TDI's are to be avoided because they have lubrication issues. I like my Sportwagen a lot but I think it's days are limited because I now have 4 kids and we no longer fit in it. I also wonder if driving a diesel is worth it because diesel is sooo expensive when compared to gas and cng.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So with this Vag-Com software do you think I could possibly change/disable/alter the automatic door locks somehow? I've tried to get used to them but I still think they are beyond annoying! Especially with young kids.

I noticed the AC pump robs about 50hp but compared to my Honda it's nice to finally have a car with decent AC :cool:

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Yes you can. I have mine set to unlock all the doors as soon as I remove the key.
You cab disable it all together though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I also wonder if driving a diesel is worth it because diesel is sooo expensive when compared to gas and cng.

We run CNG on all our diesels. Just filled the wife's Jetta and the odometer was 984 for the tank. Around 64mpg on diesel only. She never fills her CNG or she could get better. (I try to fill it whenever we are near a station. The tank needs filled about every 200 miles.) CNG also makes this a quick little car.

rholbrook

Been thinking about a new TDI Passat for my son when he gets home from his mission in 10 months. I have no idea what his plans are yet but he may head back up to USU. I want to make sure he will have a good dependable car to start his adult life with. I put my daughter in a Chevy Cruz and that's been a great car. You hear rummers about the wiring issues in the Volkswagons. That's all a thing of the past isn't it?

OCNORB

Supporting Member
What CNG kits do you guys run in your TDIs? Are they just the simple type that fog the intake air before the turbo?

Yep. Cheap ebay copies of the high end Italian regulators. A little oversized for a TDI, but perfect for full size trucks.

Greg

Admin
Been thinking about a new TDI Passat for my son when he gets home from his mission in 10 months. I have no idea what his plans are yet but he may head back up to USU. I want to make sure he will have a good dependable car to start his adult life with. I put my daughter in a Chevy Cruz and that's been a great car. You hear rummers about the wiring issues in the Volkswagons. That's all a thing of the past isn't it?

I've not had any wiring problems with any of my cars and they've all been older, higher mileage cars. I don't know much about the new VW TDI's, but I'd say it's hard to go wrong. On my newer '06 Jetta the oil change interval is every 10k miles, so while oil changes are expensive, it's nice that the factory recognizes that oil will last longer than 3k miles on a clean burning engine... saving money in the long run.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Lots of torque steer and odd noises coming from the front end.. Looks like it's time for new control arm bushings. Should be a fairly easy repair but I am surprised at the vertical/rear bushing VW used. I'm not sure why they did it this way because there is going to be a lot of force on it while braking and under hard acceleration... Oh well. I found Moog makes a bushing for it that is solid which should help improve longevity and performance. If you guy's are getting torque steer and such it wouldn't hurt to take a look at your bushings.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Thanks for the heads up. Time to order this cars 3rd timing belt soon. Might as well check over the front end while under it.