Von Werretts 1988 Toyota Pickup (Late Fall 2002 Featured Rig)

Von began his buildup with the finished product in mind. He knew the Truck would see extremely hard use in the Competition Circut, as well as the Technical Trails he planned to run with it in the near Future. With that plan, he laid out the needed mods and went to work on his Project.

Besides the many Competitions, Von had driven his Toyota on Trails like Upper and Lower Proving Grounds, the Helldorados, Pritchett and others. Perhaps the most impressive feat is driving from SLC to Moab, running the above Trails and then heading back, all on the 38.5" SX's!!!

Here's the Breakdown of how it turned out-

Engine- Toyota 22RE 4 Cylinder, with a Thorley header.

Transmission- Stock Toyota 5 Speed.

Transfer Case- Single Toyota EFI T-Case, with a 4.7 Gearset and a Twin Stick, resulting in a Crawl Ratio of 98:1.

Axles- Toyota 8" Axles at both ends.

Front: IFS Swap using a Heavily Trussed Toyota Front axle, 5.29 Yukon Gears, High Pinion Electric Locker from a Lexus LX450 and a Pair of Longfield Superbirfs. 58" wide.

Rear: Original Rear Axle, 5.29 Yukon Gears, and a Spool. 58" wide.

Suspension- Front Springs are 5" Lift, 1.5" longer, AllPro leafs that have been altered for about 3" of lift and the Rear Springs are a Mazda Pickup Springpack. Von runs Traction Bars on both ends, with a Shackle at the Top of the Traction Bars.

Tires & Wheels- Who do you know that has 4 sets of tires? Von does......

-35" x 12.5 BFG AT's w/ poser alloys, for street use
-35" x 12.5 BFG KM's (regular)
-35" x 12.5 BFG KM's (prototype tires for possible release)
-38.5" x 15.5 TSL SX's

The last 3 Tire sets can be quickly changed onto his neat Beadlock wheels. Von runs the 35" BFG KM's in Competition to qualify for the Legends Class and the 38's during regular Trail Runs.

Steering- AllPro Highsteer Arms, FJ80 rod ends, custom heavywall tierod/draglink and a custom Hydro Assist built by Von and Carl. The Hydro Assist uses the stock Toyota Steering box, drilled and tapped in the right locations and a Howe 1.5" Ram to push the Tires around.

Protection- The most noticeable thing about Von's Toyota is the Exo Cage. It's built out of 1.75 x .120 wall DOM and ties into the Rocker Protection, front Bumper and rear Frame. The bed was chucked and the 'Lunch-tray' was added, reducing weight and removing a massive amount of the sheetmetal.

Winch- Warn HS9500i with a Winch Rope.

Interesting Facts- Von is running a pair of Fiberglass Fenders on the Front to fit the massive tires, with minimal lift. The Doors are Quick-Disconnect, the Pickup has been on it's lid a couple times, and consistently places quite high in the UROC Competitions. Also, both the Diffs have both been shaved for ground clearance and the truck has broken a front Axle Shaft!

Whats Next?- It's done, the next step is to wheel the Toyota where ever it wants! Now for the next project........

Last edited:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by tweakeyjeep
Von,

Just because Carl did all the work doesn't make that truck your's anymore! :D

Hey Greg

You should see my brother's storage shed... All it has are extra and extra sets of tires!

Here's a list of the ones I know... (yes i'm bragging for him!)

(4) 37" Krawlers (competition, soft compound)
(8) 35" BFG Mud Terrain T/A K/M (is that the new model?)
(4) 37" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's
(4) 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's

It kinda bugs me because his stupid CYJ-7 isn't even complete yet and he has so many different sets of tires for it!

That reminds me... Von hurry up and finish it up for him! :p

and yeah I'll admit it I do like your truck!

Why you little *******.... :eek: :D

BTW, we're movin' on Scott's Jeep pretty heavily now that we are back from Farmington. Won't be much longer.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Thats cool! I've been looking for pics on your website for it, but all I can find is what you've always had on there.... I'm suprised that my tiny little daily driver is still on there rather than some of these other goons rigs! :D

I guess you really like me Von! :)

So Von any openings on doing my gearing on my 30? Or are you guys still working like crazy? Glad to hear that business is going well... I remember the old days in Carl's garage...... :p

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by Ben
have u done upper proving grounds yet

If this question is directed at Me, yes I've done Upper Proving Grounds and the rig does quite well.

The truck was also the first non-buggy to do Coyote Canyon (and no breakage). Me and Sucka B were the first ones the complete it last summer.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Thats cool! I've been looking for pics on your website for it, but all I can find is what you've always had on there.... I'm suprised that my tiny little daily driver is still on there rather than some of these other goons rigs! :D

I guess you really like me Von! :)

Hey now, lets go easy on the "really like me" stuff... :p :D

Yeah, the website needs major updating, and we're trying to make time to do this. It shouldn't take too much longer, I hope... :)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by britney
You can't handle Chit-Chat!!!!

Besides you don't have time for the chit cause .......your "website needs major updating".
Get to work little boy!!!

:eek:

balls, big balls..

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Whoa Von you're selling it? Dang man I get too attached to my Jeep... I cry every time I come out of my house and see it in pieces I wanna drive it so bad... I wonder what you're gonna do when you finally sell it and not be able to drive/wheel/trailer queen it anymore! :D Hope you're new one (if u r getting a new one) is just as cool/cooler! Good luck! I'll let my buddies know about it.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Whoa Von you're selling it? Dang man I get too attached to my Jeep... I cry every time I come out of my house and see it in pieces I wanna drive it so bad... I wonder what you're gonna do when you finally sell it and not be able to drive/wheel/trailer queen it anymore! :D Hope you're new one (if u r getting a new one) is just as cool/cooler! Good luck! I'll let my buddies know about it.

Ya know, I'm not sure if the new rig Carl and I are building will infact be "more cool" than the truck, just different. I have been lucky enough to have a rig that can be driven on the road to the trails and compete well in UROC. It has done well on Upper Proving Grounds/Helldorado and Coyote Canyon as well. These trails were all run on the same weekend with no breakage running 38.5" SX's too. I know the new rig will be able to do things the truck cannot, but I hope it is every bit as reliable. The new rig will have to be trailered everywhere, but thats the way it goes I guess. :cool:

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Well good luck with it... Keep me (us as in RME) posted on how it goes... And I wanna see pics of it's buildup!!! :D

Oh yeah and I wanna see pics of my bro's CYJ-7's buildup! :D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Well good luck with it... Keep me (us as in RME) posted on how it goes... And I wanna see pics of it's buildup!!! :D

Oh yeah and I wanna see pics of my bro's CYJ-7's buildup! :D

Right on, I'll see if I can post a pic or two of your bro's rig soon...

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
It would probably easier if I could just drive down there and check it out... But with my Jeep in the driveway in pieces it's kinda hard! :D Thanks Von!

footin fool

bringing it back to life. This truck is still awsome. It took 3 to 3 1/2 rolls on the rim Friday. It held up like a champ and keep my dad and his passanger very safe. Needs a new windsheild and a rear inner axle. I wish I had pics or video but nobody had anything rolling. I wasn't even there. great job on the cage and truck Von. I know hw still wont you to come out with us.