VW TDI Buy-back... not sure what to get now?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So my '09 Jetta TDI is going back to VW soon (early November, I'm told), my car is paid for and they're going to give me $10k... I paid much less, so I don't mind letting it go (plus the engine needs work). I've been driving TDI VW's for years and have been really happy with them, I like how sporty they are, the mileage (45 MPG average) and how quick they are with the turbo (and some tuning work! ;) ).

I'm looking for a replacement car, my use is as a daily driver.... but I drive a lot for work and there is a chance I can go back to traveling around the country, so having something newer, reliable and getting good MPG is a huge deal. I like leather and heated seats, really want something with a manual transmission. I want something that will be low-maintenance, last a long time but still be fun to drive. I like having a car that is turbo charged and like the idea of the newer engines that are direct injected.

My budget is around $15k, but have been having a real hard time finding something that really excites me. Here's what I've been looking at...

Newer VW Jetta with a 1.4T or 1.8T.

Chevy Cruze, with either the diesel engine (no manual option) or Ecotec gasoline turbo engine.

Have considered new/newer Toyota Corolla's, but honestly they're kinda boring. :rofl:

Not a big fan of Honda's, Subara's, Nissan, Kia or Hyundai.

I'm seriously not sure what I should get, I'm tired of playing musical cars and just want something that will make me happy for a long time. Is there any thing I'm missing with the newer car options?

Greg

Admin
I've wondered about the Audi TT, the 1.8 turbo with AWD.... but they require premium. And Audi's are $$$$ on the insurance.

Jesser04

What about a 2008 Acura TL type S? We owned a 2001 non s model and to this day it's one of my favorite cars really nice to drive and was pretty quick.

Greg

Admin
What about a 2008 Acura TL type S? We owned a 2001 non s model and to this day it's one of my favorite cars really nice to drive and was pretty quick.

Doesn't look bad, but the mileage kinda sucks. I'm hoping to end up with a gas car that averages 35-40 MPG and doesn't require premium. I love boost, especially when driving over the Colorado mountains.

The newer VW 1.4T and 1.8T take mid-grade fuel and pull down 35-40 MPG with 175 HP... I'm leaning that way.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost with manual. Hard to find but way more fun to drive than the 1.0 implies. Good mileage, peppyier than you might think. Loads of people say the Fiesta is way more fun to drive than the focus just feels small and nimble.

They will be slightly over budget, but its' also a brand new car. I went and test drove one earlier this year, we are about the same height and I fit in just fine. Almost pulled the trigger on it, then we found a property we wanted to buy so I passed.

Check them out do some research, people love 'em

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
2010-2014 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport

No turbo, but a 6-Speed and pretty good milage, I average around 30 with mostly city driving. They were the result of the VW-Suzuki alliance, and you can tell. The fit and finish is very German, but the engine feels very high revving Japanese. I've had mine for almost a year and a half and have loved it. Good get up and go and fun to drive. Plus you can find them for a really good deal.

Cascadia

Undecided
I've wondered about the Audi TT, the 1.8 turbo with AWD.... but they require premium. And Audi's are $$$$ on the insurance.
We had an03 tt with the 1.8t and Quattro. It was a blast. You would fit fine. I didn't have the seat all the way back in ours and you're only a few inches taller. We got about 28 mpg around town and around 35 on the road. We plan to get another someday.

Greg

Admin
Is keeping the vw not an option?

VW doesn't have an approved 'tuning' change yet, their first attempt got denied by the EPA... so that aspect is up in the air. Plus, my car is low on compression in cyl #4 and needs a minimum of $2500-3000 worth of engine work. If I keep my car, VW will pay me $2,500 and they have to re-tune the car, IF that gets approved.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost with manual. Hard to find but way more fun to drive than the 1.0 implies. Good mileage, peppyier than you might think. Loads of people say the Fiesta is way more fun to drive than the focus just feels small and nimble.

They will be slightly over budget, but its' also a brand new car. I went and test drove one earlier this year, we are about the same height and I fit in just fine. Almost pulled the trigger on it, then we found a property we wanted to buy so I passed.

Check them out do some research, people love 'em

Interesting.... sounds similar to the VW 1.4T. I'll look around!

2010-2014 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport

No turbo, but a 6-Speed and pretty good milage, I average around 30 with mostly city driving. They were the result of the VW-Suzuki alliance, and you can tell. The fit and finish is very German, but the engine feels very high revving Japanese. I've had mine for almost a year and a half and have loved it. Good get up and go and fun to drive. Plus you can find them for a really good deal.
Another one worth considering.... you fit well in it? IIRC we're similar in height.

We had an03 tt with the 1.8t and Quattro. It was a blast. You would fit fine. I didn't have the seat all the way back in ours and you're only a few inches taller. We got about 28 mpg around town and around 35 on the road. We plan to get another someday.

Good to know! I think they're good looking cars, a bit too sporty for a work car.... but I'd be OK with that!

Tonkaman

I've loved my Audis but they always ended with freakish mechanical/electrical gremlins that were too expensive to fix.

The TT is not only a riot to drive but very comfortable as well. I absolutely loved that car. If I trusted its maintenance record I'd buy one in a heartbeat

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
One of the reasons I like the Jetta, I'm 6' 4" and 220#'s and I fit great in them, very comfortable.

A Kizashi is comparable in size to the same era of Jetta. Myself, my dad, and a friend of mine who are all about the same size drove to Pikes Peak and back this year in it, and there was plenty of space for all of us. They really are great cars. A bit hard to find, but if you can, they are worth it.