VW TDI Buy-back... not sure what to get now?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Make sure to triple check the steering. Especially the rack and pinion that it's not leaking. Check the control arms as well. All very expensive and time consuming to change.

Control arms have actually been replaced recently, as well as front CV shafts. Thanks for the tips!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I'm selling a 2005 Mercedes S430 AMG sport AWD for my inlaws. It's not a manual, but it is fun to drive. Has high miles. $6k is the asking price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Oh man! Have a link or pics? AMG = badass!

I am working on listing it tonight. Here are some pics though.

f40cda6e007931267f71f6d597650114.jpg

9aead0a7a93341e0b0318a8a71861273.jpg

9a8ec62bdcee2a019985d6cd05505e4c.jpg

e29fe94d8d2217c7117e12184f34377a.jpg

Also comes with 4 snow tires.

Greg

Admin
Beautiful! I think that car is good for another 260k miles, Mercedes are built VERY well. Looks excellent for the miles, too. Way too much car for me though... but thanks for the pics!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Beautiful! I think that car is good for another 260k miles, Mercedes are built VERY well. Looks excellent for the miles, too. Way too much car for me though... but thanks for the pics!

You bet. I was just throwing it out there.

Greg

Admin
Well, the 2002 Audi A4 was nice and looked pretty clean.... but the interior was pretty well worn. Things like the headlight switch, window switches, etc were all worn. Plus parts of the interior looked dirty. On top of that, the owner didn't mention the A/C wasn't working and that the cat needed to be replaced. In addition to the broken windshield that was mentioned, the other items all added up to more needed $$$ than I wanted to spend, considering they didn't want to budge on the price. Long story short, decided to pass on the older Audi. Still looking, but it was worth my time to go check it out IMO...

Greg

Admin
Test drove a '13 Ford Focus ST this evening, on a whim... this car is like a VW GTI-fighter. It has a Ford EcoBoost 2.0 turbo engine, manual trans and makes ‎270 lb-ft and ‎252 hp. The car I drove has a bunch of mods, including a very annoying Roush exhaust. It was pretty enjoyable to drive (other than the resonation from the exhaust), the turbo didn't seem to pull super hard but the torque curve seemed very smooth & linear. If you open it up, it gets up to speed (and beyond) pretty quickly. You can drive it and stay out of the boost and it moves just fine... but step on the throttle and it really moves! Kinda makes me think... :D

Greg

Admin
OK, so all the paperwork and verifying is done with the buy-back. I had some paperwork delays on my end that added another week. The soonest I could return my Jetta was Dec 27th, but I'm not available then, so I scheduled it for Jan 4th.

At this point I'm leaning towards a '14+ Jetta 1.8T, I think the MPG's, reliability and turbo will make for a car that I'll be happy with. Guess we'll see!

Greg

Admin
Well, the search is over! Yesterday I picked up a lightly used 2014 Jetta SE with 30k miles, the 1.8T engine, 5 speed manual transmission and leather interior. Paid $11.5k, so at least it's paid off (thanks to the TDI buyback)! :D

It's really just a boring Jetta... really nothing too special. Driving it is interesting, it's pretty mild driving around at low RPM's. The turbo doesn't seem to fully spool up until almost 4k RPM... and from there it pulls HARD right to the 6k redline! Driving it is totally opposite of my tuned TDI! This is my first non-diesel Volkswagen. :eek:

i-5djcfJB-L.jpg

Cascadia

Undecided
Why did you decide against a tdi? Cause I know you didn't totally care about the emissions fiasco. What does a 1.8t get for mpg nowadays? We had a 1.8t TT and loved it and got 28 consistently and 35 on the road a few times.

Greg

Admin
Nice score. Should last you a very long time.

I sure hope so! 10 yrs would be great.... even more would be a bonus!

Why did you decide against a tdi? Cause I know you didn't totally care about the emissions fiasco. What does a 1.8t get for mpg nowadays? We had a 1.8t TT and loved it and got 28 consistently and 35 on the road a few times.

They don't have an approved fix for the effected cars, but I read that they MAY be able to fix the 2015+ TDI's. I figured for the money I'd be better off spending all the buyback money on a newer, gasoline replacement.

I put 350 miles on this tank of gas so far and have been averaging 38 MPG with a lot of highway & freeway driving.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Has anyone heard good or bad about the chevy cruze diesel? I saw they make a chevy cruze hatchback diesel with a 6 speed manual... something like 52 mpg... very tempting.