VW TDI Buy-back... not sure what to get now?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
What is expensive? How much was your vw insurance every 6 months? I don't think I've ever checked insurance prices before purchasing a vehicle. Usually if I want a vehicle I buy it and call my agent and say take x car off and add x car. Wonder if I'm screwing myself?

I don't recall the exact number, but I compared it to my '09 Jetta and the A4 was an '06.... and it was about 40-50% more to insure an OLDER Audi! That's a huge increase for an older, comparable car.

Tonkaman

I learned long ago to let my insurance premium dictate what I drive. It's truly amazing how much just a change of year can make on your payment.

When I was shopping for sport bikes, the different models had premiums ranging between $100- $2,000 a month!

Tonkaman

I've had an A4 and an S4 and both haunted me with electrical gremlins. I love the cars but they are way expensive once off the warranty period.

Greg

Admin
I learned long ago to let my insurance premium dictate what I drive. It's truly amazing how much just a change of year can make on your payment.

When I was shopping for sport bikes, the different models had premiums ranging between $100- $2,000 a month!

Yep, and I am a TDI driver so you know I'm watching my pennies! :rofl:

I've had an A4 and an S4 and both haunted me with electrical gremlins. I love the cars but they are way expensive once off the warranty period.

Good to know, I've been reading similar feedback and I know you mentioned that earlier as well. I'll pass on the Audi... :(

Cascadia

Undecided
You always have bad luck though. I've had 3 a4's, s4, tt, Touareg, q5 and I haven't had an issue yet. But I do sell any car I own before 100k. Maybe that's why.

Tonkaman

You always have bad luck though. I've had 3 a4's, s4, tt, Touareg, q5 and I haven't had an issue yet. But I do sell any car I own before 100k. Maybe that's why.

I totally agree I'm a magnet for gremlins. In this case though it has more to do with crowding the 100k Mike threshold.

I will certainly own more Audis but they will be new or at least still in warranty

Greg

Admin
I got my final offer from VW for the buyback... it was $1k more than expected! I have to fill out some paperwork, get it notarized and then wait for the local dealership to setup a time to return the car. Within 2 days I should have a direct deposit paying for my TDI. :D

Still not sure what to get in place of the Jetta.... :ugh: Another Jetta seems so.... boring.

Greg

Admin
Oh man that's awesome!

It helps with finding a newer/better replacement, that's for sure!

Keep it diesel and go with a BMW 335d [emoji3]

Oh man, I forgot about those!!! :greg: I had to look, last time I considered them they weren't in my price range... I just found one a few hrs from me that looks great and is $12k! I could swing that!!

427 Ft/lbs from a bi-turbo diesel and 36 MPG on the highway? Hell yeah! And apparently with a few tweaks you can get 380 HP & 600 ft/lbs!! :freak: :eek: - http://blog.modbargains.com/4-best-power-mods-for-bmw-335d-e90-m57/

Best suggestion I've heard so far :cool:

I agree!!

Greg

Admin
OK, I'm in love.... aftermarket exhaust...

[video=youtube;ctSYwtD09vg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctSYwtD09vg[/video]

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Hmmm..... downside to the BWM diesel.... they have a carbon buildup issue and it needs to be addressed every 50k miles. Cost is usually around $1500-2000 each time IF you have someone that is capable of doing the work. :eek:
]

That exhaust note alone would make it worth it...

Greg

Admin
That exhaust note alone would make it worth it...

Easy for you to say, since you wouldn't be paying for the carbon cleanout every 50k miles! :p But yea, that exhaust note & the turbo's sound is incredible... I dig it!

The one I found (that I can afford) may be pending sale today... we'll see.

Greg

Admin
So this whole time I've considered the idea of buying an older car, something I'll like, that is cheap but nice. I found a '02 Audi A4 Quattro (AWD) with a 1.8T and a manual trans for $3.2k. It seems like the current owners have taken good care of the car, it has high miles (160k) but recently had an upgraded clutch put in.

I'm thinking that if the car is nice in person, I may buy it and pocket the remaining $8k... :eek: I can try out the older, high-mile Audi for awhile and if i decide I don't like it I can unload it and buy a newer car. I could also use the left over cash to get a side business going if the A4 works for me.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
So this whole time I've considered the idea of buying an older car, something I'll like, that is cheap but nice. I found a '02 Audi A4 Quattro (AWD) with a 1.8T and a manual trans for $3.2k. It seems like the current owners have taken good care of the car, it has high miles (160k) but recently had an upgraded clutch put in.

I'm thinking that if the car is nice in person, I may buy it and pocket the remaining $8k... :eek: I can try out the older, high-mile Audi for awhile and if i decide I don't like it I can unload it and buy a newer car. I could also use the left over cash to get a side business going if the A4 works for me.

Keep that $8k in an account for the Audi. High milage VAG products like to take you for every nickel and dime they can! :D

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Make sure to triple check the steering. Especially the rack and pinion that it's not leaking. Check the control arms as well. All very expensive and time consuming to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk