Wanted Wanted Early Jeep Saginaw Power Steering Box

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Anybody have an old Jeep Saginaw 800 box laying around that they would trade for some cash?

Needs to be an early model - fits 1972-1979 Cj models and a few Wagoneers. 4-4.5 turns lock to lock.

Tore into the one in my daughter's Commando and the sector shaft is pretty heavily pitted. Looks like the water settles down into the seal area and eats the shaft.

Image stolen because walking back upstairs and out to the shop would take too much energy:
Sag800.jpg

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I just put this one in my CJ/YJ thing... Not sure on the size of the input shaft compared to what you have but I'm sure you could research it easy enough.
I’ll look into that one. Thanks!

I’m also thinking about just sending it to Redhead. We put hydro boost brakes on this thing so the steering is integral to safety. (Not that it’s very safe to begin with.)

OCNORB

Supporting Member
9B2295D3-8FC9-4C04-9575-44A161E158C9.jpeg

It’s too bad someone doesn’t make something like a speedy sleeve for these. If they do, my search skills have not found it. The box casting is also a bit rough, but I was able to get it feeling decent with some light honing.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I was helping my son pull an axle at the Salt Lake Tear a Part and they had a 77 Wagoneer that had a decent looking power steering gear box. Don't know how long it will stay there. It was right as you come out of the building on the first row.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Would a YJ box adapt to your needs? I have one.

My hope was to avoid a newer box as i would need to adapt the hoses to metric and the input shaft size is different. I appreciate the offer!

I decided to try a JBWeld fix. Probably not the best, but it will be an interesting experiment.

D3A4AFEA-3198-49AB-BDF4-619914A83992.jpeg

After some sanding:
8EDB0793-A56E-4D7B-99AC-96C4507E23ED.jpeg

I sanded it much finer than that, but did not get photos.

New seals and fluid about 10 days ago. Still no leaks!

E6BA445F-A839-4C27-9958-AEDE50E146CB.jpeg