Ward Canyon

RockChucker

Is Ward Canyon open for winter travel? I know that many of the roads up by the B are closed to everything but "over snow vehicles" during the winter. I haven't been up to the B in almost 15 years, and was thinking if Ward Canyon is open, it would be a fun snow run.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I think if you can get up the canyon then your rig would definitely qualify for an "over snow vehicle". I did it about 5-6 years ago and had a blast.

RockChucker

i think that is a good argument for the normal fella. But as I understand it, an over the snow vehicle is limited to something like 800lbs or less. Last year the shop with the obnoxious TV show up in woodscross took their rig up over some gate by the B and you'd think that the internet wanted to crucify them. just want to make sure i'm not doing anything illegal and adding fuel to the fire that is trying to close down trails.

I think if you can get up the canyon then your rig would definitely qualify for an "over snow vehicle". I did it about 5-6 years ago and had a blast.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Ward Canyon trail should be open to travel all year as far as I've ever known. It's Ward-Skyline Drive that is closed to winter travel. Thought I will say the last time I went up there in winter was many years ago. I believe they've added a lower gate down by the parking lot on Ward Canyon Rd? If they have then things might have changed and you may no longer be allowed. By looking at Cruiser's
map Ward Canyon Trail isn't listed as closed but the road is. Hell I don't even see the trail listed on the map.

Google map

So if you look at it in Google maps. You'll see a dotted line that runs along Ward Canyon Rd. That's Ward Canyon Trail, this will drop you off at the upper gate that keeps you from going up Ward Canyon Rd. It runs on the other side of the canyon from the main road. There are certain areas that depending on the year and erosion it gets pretty off camber. If you don't get it right you can bit it hard and take a long tumble.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
There isn't a gate on it. I went up it a few months ago.

I don't know that I would attempt it with any snow or ice on it. There are a lot of steep off camber places. If you screw up you will roll a long ways down the side of the mountain. The trail is also pretty narrow.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Only the first mile or so has any off camber stuff. It gets narrow again about 2 miles up. But the snow can be a factor if there is any more than a few inches.
I go up it sometimes 2 times a week.
Tight trees right now. I'd doubt anything less than a built rig with chains will go up right now.