Warn 8274

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Over the Holiday my son and I went to Sand Hollow where we picked up an old 8274 from one of the partners of The Beach. When we came home I couldn't wait to tear in to this winch, since I really have never even touched one before. Google was my friend for a few weeks as I started my tear down and rebuild. Upgrades are cool so I add a few of those also. An
img_1947-jpg.111847
8274 belongs on the front of old iron, and what better than a 74 Cruiser. Built a nice bumper and mounted it all up. Looks good and I'm very happy.IMG_1948.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 133

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
When I opened up the winch it was obvious that it needed some assistance. Ordered a rebuild kit, brake kit end cap, etc. I also found out the the motor can be upgraded from a 2.5 hp to a 6.5 hp (don't quote me on those numbers, they may be off just a bit) so I put a motor on from a Warn 9.5 and pinion gear on it. That also required a new controller box. I was going to mount the new box under the hood, but the winch just looked naked without it on the front. I fabed up a mount using 4" exhaust clamp. The rope is Warns new rope and I have to say, I have NEVER seen a rope as nice and strong as this one.
All in all, I'm into the winch many dollars, but I absolutely love the way it looks on the Cruiser and it we serve it's purpose well.

Jinx, :shawn: A cover is like wearing a condom, it's just not meant to be.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I also found out the the motor can be upgraded from a 2.5 hp to a 6.5 hp (don't quote me on those numbers, they may be off just a bit) so I put a motor on from a Warn 9.5 and pinion gear on it..

I did not know that. Pretty cool. Does that increase the load capacity or just the speed?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Maybe I need to fix the two spare 8274s in my basement. I should also upgrade the motor on mine. I was able to stall it the last time I tried to pull my SIL out of quicksand.

Attachments

• Hole%27NMuck.JPG
    Hole%27NMuck.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 11