Was: Backpack with a cot???...Now: Sleeping Pad suggestions :)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I use an exped megamat 10 that weighs 5.7 lbs. If I was going to backpack I'd carry that sucker because of how comfortable it is. Last year I did use it on a cot most of my nights out. It was awesome. I do also have a slightly slimmer "7.5" model but wasn't ableto find the weight of that one quickly.

You're more than welcome to come check these out if you wanted to. I'm a big dude (6'3", 300) and like others have commented I sleep just as good on this pad as I do at my home in bed.

At the swell earlier this year I found I had a hole in it and slept poorly those two nights but it was easy enough to patch up with the included kit when I got home. Turns out the hole came from my grinding and welding of my trailer and me shooting sparks up on the platform above my garage where I keep all my gear.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Something has changed, the past couple times I've used my Klymit Static V it's been hell on my shoulders. I want something a little thicker and wider, and a little insulation wouldn't be out of order, and I want to be able to backpack it, and I need to spend less than $200. Those criteria give me the Exped Synmat 9 LW vs. Klymit Static V Lux Insulated. Has anyone got any direct experience with either or both mats?

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I've got an Exped Synmat. I works well when I don't want to take the Mega Mat. Your welcome to take it for a test drive if you want.

Is it the 7 or the 9? I'm kinda leaning away from the Synmat because it's only a hair wider than my current mat. I found the Nemo Cosmo and it's pushing all my buttons - 80x30x4 inches of plush comfy insulated pad. I wish REI had one on the shelf so I could lie on it, but I might end up ordering it blind.

OldGeezer

Is it the 7 or the 9? I'm kinda leaning away from the Synmat because it's only a hair wider than my current mat. I found the Nemo Cosmo and it's pushing all my buttons - 80x30x4 inches of plush comfy insulated pad. I wish REI had one on the shelf so I could lie on it, but I might end up ordering it blind.

It's a 9. I thought it was larger than 77.5x26 though. I'll have to look. That Nemo does look pretty nice too.

mesha

By endurance we conquer

you are welcome to come and borrow/lay on n=my synmat 7UL or the large thermarest xtherm.