Free Washer and dryer

Tonkaman

I have a washer and dryer set that needs a new home. They are GE front load approximately 10 years old.

The drum in the washer badly needs a new bearing. I procrastinated fixing it for a few months then finally just ordered a whole new set instead. I’m just too busy for another project right now

The dryer functions perfectly fine.

They are otherwise in pretty good shape. The washer has some scuffs on the top and a few cracks in the trim around the control panel.

Attachments

• AF9812A3-9A36-48A8-8806-6BE18BB4EA9E.jpeg
    AF9812A3-9A36-48A8-8806-6BE18BB4EA9E.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 9
  • ED6D970A-D651-4F1F-911E-002FA2517687.jpeg
    ED6D970A-D651-4F1F-911E-002FA2517687.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 1BF31498-695B-49F1-9A8B-4213E3F312DE.jpeg
    1BF31498-695B-49F1-9A8B-4213E3F312DE.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 6F4567E2-815A-40B6-BA53-B66FFE8064E7.jpeg
    6F4567E2-815A-40B6-BA53-B66FFE8064E7.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 9

Coco

We will take them if so. I rolled my ankle today pretty good, I will reach out when I can come get them. Maybe Sunday night/Monday if that works?

Tonkaman

We will take them if so. I rolled my ankle today pretty good, I will reach out when I can come get them. Maybe Sunday night/Monday if that works?
No problem at all. They are on the side of my house in West Jordan so it’s easy. I’m 3/4 gimp, but could kinda pretend to help you load up too.
You can text if it’s easier 43five-51three-563five

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
And that bearing is a pain to change but it's only like $15. Plan on spending most of a Saturday and have a pressure washer handy.

What is it with modern washing machines needing frequent repairs such as this?!? I've got a Whirlpool top-loading washer with the fancy agitator-less barrel. After only a few (3?) years of use, I had to rip it apart to replace the shaft bearing/seal (it was puking grease all over the underside and making a racket). I did that repair about a year and a half ago, and already the thing is starting to make noise again. (sigh)

I remember the old school, cheap, traditional washing machines my family owned when I was a child. Those things worked for decades and never needed any sort of repair--the only reason my mom got rid of the ones I grew up with was because she finally got tired of the avocado green color.

What is the fundamental difference between the two? Why is it that fancy new computer controls require the demise of long-term reliability? When my machine's bearing finally gives out again, I may just junk the whole thing and instead go buy a new cheapie model that can last.

</rant>

RockChucker

What is it with modern washing machines needing frequent repairs such as this?!? I've got a Whirlpool top-loading washer with the fancy agitator-less barrel. After only a few (3?) years of use, I had to rip it apart to replace the shaft bearing/seal (it was puking grease all over the underside and making a racket). I did that repair about a year and a half ago, and already the thing is starting to make noise again. (sigh)

I remember the old school, cheap, traditional washing machines my family owned when I was a child. Those things worked for decades and never needed any sort of repair--the only reason my mom got rid of the ones I grew up with was because she finally got tired of the avocado green color.

What is the fundamental difference between the two? Why is it that fancy new computer controls require the demise of long-term reliability? When my machine's bearing finally gives out again, I may just junk the whole thing and instead go buy a new cheapie model that can last.

</rant>
Planned obsolescence. They make more money if they get to sell you a new one every few years.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I think it’s less of a conspiracy to sell parts, and more so that every one wants the cheapest product available, so manufacturers have to cut corners to be cheaper.
I think they know that they've got a whole grip of consumers addicted to retail therapy who are going to buy a new set every couple years anyway to match whatever their latest decorating scheme is so they know they don't have to build them to last. And they can safely ignore the rest of us that are screaming for reliable products because there's only like two or three main companies that own all the appliance manufacturers and as long as they all turn out equally shitty appliances and undercut the hell out of any upstart that thinks about producing a quality product, none of them have to worry about losing market share.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I dunno. You can still buy a top loader like mom had that will last 30 years. But they are extremely inefficient (like 3-4x more water use) and not really that great at getting stuff clean (about like churning a shirt in a Lowes bucket with a broom handle) Or pony up for a a commercial model and deal with the extra noise, and gain reliability.

I have a washer and dryer set that needs a new home. They are GE front load approximately 10 years old.

The drum in the washer badly needs a new bearing. I procrastinated fixing it for a few months then finally just ordered a whole new set instead. I’m just too busy for another project right now

The dryer functions perfectly fine.

They are otherwise in pretty good shape. The washer has some scuffs on the top and a few cracks in the trim around the control panel.
I am very interested in this washer and dryer