water purification

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
is anyone using any kind of water filtration product on thier camping adventures? i currently bring along aquamira tablets for emergency use only, but would like to add a filter so i don't need to bring so much water from home. also i'm hoping its small enough to be carried in a back pack. any preferences out there. MSR, PUR (Katadyn), others?

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I have a PUR (now Katadyn) that is 13 years old and I love it.. they claim that you can do up to 400 gallons on one filter (as long as you are not trying to filter mud)... I would say stay away from the ceramic filters if possible (cant back flush them if you get too many big chunks on the outside).. I used to have a sweetwater (hated it) my friend has an MSR that seems to be much harder to pump even with a new filter than mine..

anyhow go PUR IMHO :)

Last edited:

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
after reading several reviews it does seem the katadyn has a higher satisfaction rating it looks like thats what i'll be adding to my camping gear :D thanks !

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
darwin, I don't know if you get the Overland Journal magazine? Their last issue did a big test on water purifiers, very comprehensive with lab tests, etc. You might look into it.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I would decide what type of element works for you then find the company with the best version of that element.
chemical (which you already use)
strain (filter style which you are looking at)
U.V. light (like the sun)
The most popular is the filter style. those have fiberglass, ceramic, hollow fiber, and carbon mediums. For preparedness sake I would use something with a backup.
Ceramic elements are easier to clean and give the filter longer life. They get about double the output of a fiberglass. they are similar in speed to the fiberglass maybe a hair slower. They can crack if dropped a far distance. even a few feet if out of the filter housing.
Fiberglass elements are faster, they get less output and they are harder to clean. they are more resilient and more dummy proof.
hollow fiber is by far the fastest. it is similar in output life to fiber glass. also generally the lightest due to more surface area per weight. these can be purifiers and not just filters. kidney dialysis uses these.
chemical you know about.
U.V. light kills everything these are purifiers not filters like the rest. they deactivate the DNA in the bad stuff so it can't reproduce so it just passes through. These require batteries is the down fall and only do a little at a time. Many cities use U.V. light.
Your back up can always be boiling it.

MOODY

Bald Guy
darwin, I don't know if you get the Overland Journal magazine? Their last issue did a big test on water purifiers, very comprehensive with lab tests, etc. You might look into it.

Yes! That was a great review, echoed my experience with water purification (the ones I have used at least).

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
when i first started looking into getting something, i was pretty sold on the uv light. but after reading about them on various web sites they seem to be very unreliable in thier performance,. so i started looking at filters and even though they are not 100% reliable either they seem to a little better. and some are field serviceable. i'll still have my chemicals and a stove to boil with. i just want something faster and easier to use, that doesn't have a funny taste when i'm done, or take extra fuel. i'll have to check out that magazine it sounds groovy! thanks!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I own all of the filters by all of the companies you are looking at if you want to come and check them out and use them.

kd7kmp

I've got a Katadyn Hiker Pro. It is small and compact. I use it several times a year for my backpacking trips. Usually there are several people with me who fill their bottles to. As long as you keep away from water that is obviously dirty or contaminated the filters work great. UV is still to inconsistent for me. I love the Hiker Pro...

Kevin

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
the reviews i read on uv treatment were about 50/50. the complaint was the the light would fail to stay on for the proper amount of time or fail to light at all, and that even with the recommended lithium batteries the battery life was very short when it did work. that was for the steripen classic

Last edited:

kd7kmp

Dave,

I should have clarified...I believe that most of the inconsistency comes from operator error. UV is used extensively in municipal potable water purification systems with good success. But for trail use, if I am really worried about viruses or other nasty stuff I will boil after filtering or use purification tablets.

Kevin

mesha

By endurance we conquer
That makes sense. They are a little more "techi" to use. Every filter has the ability for user error. for instance if the hiker gets to gunked and you keep forcing it then you can push bad stuff through the element. I have the steripen classic and adventurer. i have used them both a number of times and never had a problem. My wife and I did 2 weeks in costa rica using the classic a couple times a day. we were the only ones in the group of 15 or so that didn't get sick. that being said it isn't what I normally use and I wouldn't recommend it as the most reliable unit to a new comer). I carry most often the MSR hyper flow because it is the lightest by quite a bit. The one I keep in my truck the most is a hiker pro and I love the quick connects. my bug out bag has a sawyer purifier that is the good version of the crappy water bottle style. It does 3000 gallons. the rest sit on my shelf. I sold the rest of my MSR filters. I do agree though the hiker or hiker pro is a proven filter. I still have 2 of them and they have NEVER let me down. Anybody can use one and they are simple to maintain. I would probably recommend that as a first filter for a backpacker. Maybe not an expedition style though(unless a bucket was used for syphon filtering with just the element).

kd7kmp

Dave,

Talking with you brings back memories of hiking up and down that stupid hill up Millcreek Canyon. At least we (and by we I mean me) had fun rolling rocks down the hill...good times.

Kevin