Wayne Lentz 1997 Jeep Wrangler (Spring 2003 Featured Rig)

Wayne (User Name on RME is WLJ) moved from Wisconsin to Utah and brought his 1972 CJ5 with him. He quickly learned that a Jeep setup for Mud, sporting 12.5 to 1 Compression and a Short Wheelbase isn't the right Combo for the Utah rocks. The CJ was sold and a stock TJ was bought to replace it. 2 years later, there's hardly a part that hasn't been replaced or upgraded!

Engine- 4.0L Straight Six.

Mods: Rock-It Air tube and K&N air filter, Power Aid Throttle Body spacer, Rubicon Express 62mm Throttle Body, 3-core Radiator and a Flex-lite Electric fan to keep it all cool.

Transmission- Jeep AX15 5 Speed and a Hand Throttle.

Transfer Case- Atlas II 4.3!!

Axles-

Front:
Currie-built, Ford 9”. High pinion with ARB, 4.88 Gears, Warn Inners and Outers shafts, Warn 5x5.5 Hub Conversion, and the Housing has been Shaved on the Bottom.

Rear:
Currie-built, Ford 9”. High pinion with a Detroit, 4.88 Gears, Warn Full Floater, Ford Disc brakes, Welded on skid protection. Also Shaved on the Bottom.

Suspension- Rubicon Express, Long Arm Kit with 5.5” of Lift. Currie Anti-Rock bars help keep it all in balance when the going gets twisty.

Tires & Wheels- Wayne runs 2 sets of wheels and tires. One set is a little more Street-friendly, the 37” MT/R's on CenterLine Hell Cat’s 15x8.5's. But, when things get nasty there's a set of 36” SX Swampers with 15X8 Allied Beadlocks waiting to play.

Protection- Off Your Rockers Corner Guards, Currie Front bumper w/ Steering brace & gearbox skid plate. Also from Currie are the Rear Bumper with spare tire carrier and for rocker protection are the Currie Rock Ribs.

Winch- Warn 9500HS on a Custom Mount.

Interesting Facts- LED taillights, KC back-up lights, Kilby Gas Tank skid plate and for roll-over protection, a MORE Cage w/ additional spreaders. Tom Wood Drive Shafts sent the power to the Diffs; (Wayne has a full set of spare shafts!!) Yellow Optima Battery provides the juice, Hard and Soft Tops, Full and Half Doors, a Cobra CB, 1” Daystar Body lift, 1” Motor Mount lift, Halon fire extinguisher and a cool Custom Aluminum Box replaced the Back seat, for storing tools and spare parts.

Whats Next?- There's thoughts about a rig with a little less sheetmetal..... like, say..... a Tube Buggy!

In the mean time, there may be a Dana 60 in the works, to replace the rear Ford 9".

Some of the things that have given Wayne the most satisfaction include; Installing the Suspension, mounting the Currie 9" Axles and well...... everything! Wayne has done all the mods in his garage. (I guess you can do that when you're a Mechanical Engineer!) When Wayne isn't wheelin his Jeep, he also occupies his time with Rock Climbing, Road Racing his '89 Mustang, Tele-skiing, Kayaking, Camping and playing in the Outdoors.

Last edited:

Lifelong Jeeper

Wayne,

I am looking into buying a 9" right now and was wondering why you are looking to get out of yours. I know the D60 is sweet, but have also spoken to people who would take a 9" over a 60 anyday. Your takes?

WJL

I was thinking of going bigger tires like 38.5 swampers. After going to Moab in Easter 2003. I am keeping the set up as is works great. 37s are as big as I want to go. Saw alot of Jeeps with 38s and that is a huge tire and I do not want to go down that ave.
I would get the 9 in again, great setup and works excellent with plenty of ground clearance.

SeaBass44

I just got back from the RUBICON, I run 38.5x14.50 TSL~SX's with a 44 front and D70~U rear. I only heard the rear drag a few times, it never gave me a hint of trouble. 35 spline, 5:89's welded...the front is another story:rolleyes: This was my 1st trip on a D44, always had toyota mini axles. I broke a short side joint and deformed the ears inner & outer.....helping someone out:( I drove down into the lil sluice and winched a sami up so he could air up a poped bead. He was in a spot a jack just wouldn't work, so afterwards I went up the side of the box, made a rookie misstakje and got my pass tire loged in a crack and bam:eek: had not spit out the joint yet, so I unlocked the hub and winched out. Had a great time watching the box action the other 13 hours of the day, then wheeled out in 3WD. Right after GateKeeper I only had 2wd, so I blew a MM hub on the last turn of the trail too:p Still a great trip.
On a side note. Afer 5 years of wheeling the con, I think it was ruffer looking then ever, or that may be that I'm now fullwidth and had to go over every stinkin rock on the trail:D But that's ok, it's like a new trail again:cool: :cool: so when are you guys getting out here??

WJL

New and updated AVE Hood.
Got last summer to get rid of heat and make the jeep alittle diffrent.

Attachments

• AEV hood 1a.JPG
    AEV hood 1a.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 78