We did mineral point trail this weekend!!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
we ran the mineral point trail this weekend. two zuks and a 22 took the ant flats road off monte cristo and headed for the hills. we were trying to find a way to connect over to the millville canyon area or even the backside of providence canyon. upon further inspection of the topo maps, it was not very likely that we would be on dirt the whole way because blacksmiths fork runs east west over our suspected north south route, nice paved highway from what i have seen. anyway we ran into some obstacles dug into the trail. they were meant to keep traffic off the road from what i have seen but my contact at the forrest service said nothing about the trial being closed. so we pressed on. it turns out that it comes down into some private property owned by the LDS church but no signs were posted. were were fortunate enough, or not, to run into the care taker who was wondering where the hell we came from because he didn't give us the combo to the front gate at porcupine resevoir.......we told the truth or course and said we came from monte cristo.....we were lost of course because we had no idea where mineral point was until i hit the internet this morning. it was a good thing we ran into the guy because they had the most inclusive 5 foot tall 3 inch schedule 40 fence going across the entire valley and unless you had a tough rig such as our own, you werent making it down the riverbed into the top of the resevoir and out one of the high and dry boat ramps we discovered later. we ran into several areas where someone cut holes out of the trail and filled them with fallen young quakies and such, it made the trail a lot funner!! the 5 foot high 3 foot round boulders re-arranged my sheet metal some but were well worth the effort. we also came accross an old willys wagon off the side of the trail and an old car that i thought was a 55 chevy nomad at first:mad: but realized that it was another car and could care less!!:D all in all it took us about 6 hours to run the round trip with chad having some starter relay problems that were hard to locate at first, he would drop into one of the holes and kill kill the motor, then it wouldn't even turn over!! we had to track that down and it took about an hour. i had to snatch his zuk out of the same hole three times before we finally got the silly problem fixed. the best part of the trail was when we finally made it down into the riverbed and took the non-optional runs down it. there were a couple 100 yard stretches where you had to drop into the river and run the boulders down until the trail popped out the other side. the yearling brook trout were pissed off but they survived the Swamper/MTR attack!! all in all, if you have anything bigger than a zuk, forget it!! you cannot make two of these trail "modifications". the 5 foot tall boulder was rolled off the hillside into place and we both barely squeezed by with trail rash on both rigs, chad was rolling over into the boulder if i hadn't been pushing his zuk away from the rock as much as possible. the other obstacle was by an old snow-caved cabin where approach and departure angle was at the limits. width and approach and departure angles were the absolute limiting factor on this trail and we barely made it. without the modifications done by the mystery people, this trail would be relatively easy maybe a 3. now it is a full 3.5 for a zuk. here are the pics!!
aug10_02.jpg

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
these holes were freshly cut and were amazingly deep sometimes up to 4 feet, so approach and departure angles were tested!!
aug10_21.jpg
aug10_26.jpg
aug10_28.jpg

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
Sweet pix man
Looks like you had a sweet time! To bad you cant run anything but a very small vehicle. We need to find some good trails in utah county. They are starting to close everything! Ohhh BTW did anyone see that helicopter cop last night (sat night) up in hog hollow? It was spot lighting the terrian for a while.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by miatre
Where did you get the led tail lights::::::?
i had to throw that pic in because it looks so menacing!!! anyway i got them from a job i used to work at a couple years back making semi-trailers. they use those thing all the time. if they got scratched during the install they had to be replaced with new units for the customer......mine got scratched so i got 40 dollar lights for free. someone stole my first set if you can believe it!! anyway they are availible in either small led or big-fat led at your local six states dist. they are gonna set ya back if you want the gargantuan ones but if you like small and discreet the smaller versions get the job done for less buck.

about the trail, unless i get permission from the church land owners, i probably wont run it in the future. we can get around the fence if the water in the resevoir remains low but it is tough and not recommended!! besides trespassing is bad right!!:D

MattL

right on. I want to put them on the 'mando but havent really looked hard. i know i have a name of a place acrross from four wheel parts but always looking for other possiblities.

oh and i liked the pics. what kinda camera do you have?