welder info

Jeromy

ok i am a newbie when it comes to welding. I would like to buy a welder. So far I have been looking at the Lincoln sp-175t mig. It says that it will weld up to 5/16. It also has the option to run gas. would that be a good one to buy?

I want to use it to start making my own bumpers, rock sliders, tire carriers, ect....

Any other suggestions?

Also were would the best place to buy?

thanks
Jeromy

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Is that a 175 Amp?... You will definatly want to run MIG gas, in fact its not a mig unless you do run gas, otherwise its just a wire feed. My Millermatic 185 amp has been great. It will weld 3/8" on a single pass.. plently for me.

Jeromy

yah it is a 175 amp. Cool i will make sure i get all the stuff for running gas.

The miller 185 looks to be a little out of my price range. trying to stick to about 6-700. i like the duty cycle on it though

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yeah, it really has been a great welder. Your more than welcome to come test drive it one day. I've never tried the Lincoln your looking at but from everything I've heard, Lincolns are great welders. In fact I learned to weld with an old Lincoln buzz box... that thing was old!. We had a coupel of Hobarts down at the shop, and they were great welder too. Seems like the adjuster knobs always broke off of them. Good Luck:D

kb7sei

I run that welder. It's a nice box, and works very well. I run .030 wire and C25 gas, seems to be a good all-around setup for everything I've welded. It will handle your projects just fine with power to spare. I've done an SAS and engine swap so far with it and it's performed flawlessly.

I bought mine at Humphry's in American Fork, spent about $800 total for the machine, tank (don't remember the size, it's a medium size), wire, and some spare tips. I probably could have gotten a better deal, but I got great service there, and that's worth a few bucks to me.

Other machines that I hear work well are the Miller and Hobbart boxes.

If you want to save some money, I hear www.cyberweld.com is a good place to buy.

Gas is worth the extra money, IMO. The welds are clean and look pretty. :D No flux chipping required. The solid wire is a lot cheaper too.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by Jeromy
ok i am a newbie when it comes to welding. I would like to buy a welder. So far I have been looking at the Lincoln sp-175t mig. It says that it will weld up to 5/16. It also has the option to run gas. would that be a good one to buy?

I also bought my SP175 at Humprys in AF and I LOVE IT! Lincolns kick butt! I can't imagine ever needing to replace mine.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Get Me wired
The one I bought came from cyberweld.com
It's a Hobart 175, very happy with it and cyberweld.

I have the same welder. That is one nice welder for sure! :)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Originally posted by Herzog

I have the same welder. That is one nice welder for sure! :)
Me three. The Hobart 175 has been great. Paid $520 for it, no tax and free shipping. I did hit the duty cycle once and had to wait a few minutes. I use .030 wire too.

Get Me wired

got issues?
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
What is the duty cycle of the Hobart 175 that you guys have?
It depends on how high you have it turned up. If I remember right worst case is 20/80, 20% use 80% rest but I don't recall the time interval and I'm sure ambient temperature is a factor. I'll have to get back with ya.

BTW I've never hit the duty cycle and had it turn off on me, but then again I don't break ARPs ether. Floppy Hat uses it also, Floppy you break things have you ever hit the duty cycle on our welder?

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

It depends on how high you have it turned up. If I remember right worst case is 20/80, 20% use 80% rest but I don't recall the time interval and I'm sure ambient temperature is a factor. I'll have to get back with ya.

BTW I've never hit the duty cycle and had it turn off on me, but then again I don't break ARPs ether. Floppy Hat uses it also, Floppy you break things have you ever hit the duty cycle on our welder?

I haven't hit cycle duty yet either. :)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I think that is real close to my Millermatic, I have only hit the duty cylce once and that was welding all the doors and such shut on a derby car... 20-30 ft. of continuous weld...:eek: I would do a complete door and then let it sit for a few minutes...

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser

I don't break that many things. And no I haven't ever hit the duty cycle.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Are you insinuating that I break stuff??? This last year has been great, virtually no broken parts... The only things I broke were: two transfer cases, one transmission, one suspension crossmember, one heim, one tie rod end, one wheel, and a couple driveshafts and pinion yokes. Maybe some other small inconsequencial stuff...