Wanted Welder to weld 3/4 rod end bung into link tube

The_Lobbster

Any good welders in Utah county that can weld a bung into a tube for me? Fairly simple, just a 3/4 bung, roughly 1” ID tube. I want it to look nice which is why I figure somebody besides me should do it. I can pay in cash, beer, or soda, whatever you prefer.

Attachments

• 3F9B3252-7369-40E6-B639-876267514C6E.jpeg
    3F9B3252-7369-40E6-B639-876267514C6E.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 28

The_Lobbster

Too bad you disqualified me by stating Utah Co. I'm in Weber County and would be be happy to weld it.
That would be a bit of a drive! I don't usually make it up that way. I think I found somebody in PG that can do it, but if for some reason something changes, I'm sure I can find an excuse to head up your way! Thanks!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Be sure to run a tap through it after it cools, before you thread your end in.

I’m one county south of Mike. Still too far north, but getting warmer.

The_Lobbster

Be sure to run a tap through it after it cools, before you thread your end in.

I’m one county south of Mike. Still too far north, but getting warmer.
I heard of a trick, to thread in a bolt the correct thread prior to welding, so that during welding it wouldn’t warp, and it supposedly eliminates the need to run a tap through it. Any idea if there’s any truth to that?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I would not put a bolt in the bung first. The bung will shrink and you run the risk of galling the threads when you try to remove it. If you do put a bolt in cover the threads in copper (high temp) anti seize.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
We ran a tap down afterwords. I too, have never been a fan of welding with the joint in. But I have never tried it with antiseize so maybe that is the ticket.
maxresdefault.jpg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I've never had an issue on these larger bungs with threading the rod end in after welding. On the smaller ones such as 5/16" and 3/8" tube adapters I have on occasion run a tap through afterwards but never with a rod end or threaded material in the tube adapter while welding.

Also, you've probably already had it welded by now but I also drill through it for Rosette (plug) welds which add a lot of strength to prevent the adapter pulling out of the tube.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So I’ll ask here, anyone happen to have a 7/8”-18 left hand tap to chase the threads of my 1-ton tie rod? Before I drop $100 on one from McMaster

It's ghetto but I used a ruined old heim and cut 4 flutes in the threads. Then shortened the threads (in a taper toward the start) to straighten some threads I goofed up welding in a bung too hot.