Welding Around Fuel Cell

Evolved

Less-Known Member
While doing some Spring maintenance on my buggy (since I have sooooo much time on my hands currently) I noticed my fuel cell mount was bent on the back side. After pulling my mount off and fixing the back side I went to reinstall it. While putting everything back together I noticed a part of the front side of the mount was cracked and broken allowing the back side to bend.

To fix it, I simply have to weld in a support across the front side but it’s within a few feet of the top of the cell and all of the lines. Since I will be welding under the cell, I’m not super concerned about sparks defying gravity and falling upwards but I am concerned about vapors. I can’t smell fuel anywhere around the cell and it doesn’t leak. I have read about putting a wet towel on top of it and using a fan to blow any vapors away. I also have a welding blanket I can use.
IMG_1464.jpgIMG_1465.jpg

I would prefer not to take the cell out, plus that would add another issue of vapors from the lines being open.

what precautions should I take when doing this to not blow up my house and piss my wife off?

Thanks

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've welded rear shock mounts on TJ's several times which are close to the plastic tank and the fill/vent lines. I usually soak a beach towel and wrap the fuel components in it. I still have hair, a jeep and a wife YMMV.