Welding gas question

P93suafilo

So I’m starting to learn how to weld and am gonna grab a smaller bottle of shielding gas. I was thinking either a 40cf or 80cf bottle. My question I have is what’s the ball park cost for a bottle should I be looking at? I just don’t have a gauge for what I should be paying for one.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sometimes you can find a used bottle on KSL or Facebook marketplace and save a little money. Just make sure the certification stamp on the bottle isn't too old.

SnwMnkys

Ive got a brand new aluminum 20 lbs tank I can sell you. PM me if youre interested. I think it was $36 to fill one with C25 at Humphries. Not sure what leasing a tank costs from them anymore since I own all mine. But it would obviously pay for itself eventually.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Be advised that a CO2 tank has different fittings than a standard sheilding gas tank. It will work for sheilding gas though, you just need to source the right fittings to convert your regulator.

Or you can do what @SoopaHick and I did in Moab when we welded his diff in the O'Reilly parking lot. He held the air chuck from the co2 tank to the welders regulator fitting while I welded. It was not an efficient process, but we achieved an acceptable level of shielding. 😂