Welding helmets Created equal?

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I am looking to buy a nice welding helmet as I have gone through a couple cheapo helmets. I see the prices range from 30$ to 300$, what are the things to look for or is there a best bang for the buck helmet?

Chase39

I use the Lincoln Black Viking every day at work. The auto darkening lens works great. I like the sensitivity adjustment. the shading is more broad than my co workers miller. works well to turn down for torching I got it for 160 on sale. The headgear used to pull my hair once and a while but that stopped after a couple weeks.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Favorite Helmet to weld with, Miller Digital Elite Series. I have welded for hours with this helmet, both Tig and Mig and never felt any fatigue. Its too expensive for me right now so I use a auto darkening from homedepot that I paid about $100 for, It does the job but the head gear sucks and adjust-ability isn't all that good, the shade range is poor at best. I would buy a miller elite or something comparable if it were me buying again, and I think I will get a Miller Digital Infinity Series in the near future.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Rockin a Speedglas 9100V with a mild cheater lens.
Love the headgear on this one since I can easily adjust it to fit my oversize, misshapen melon.

ricsrx

with a mild cheater lens..

i was all pissed for a few months that my Jackson helmet sucked and i couldn't see the bead, then a coworker said, i bet your blind.....yep. cheater lens fixed it.

the problem is i need 2 lenses, one for close up 6'' and another for 14''...

i was all pissed for a few months that my Jackson helmet sucked and i couldn't see the bead, then a coworker said, i bet your blind.....yep. cheater lens fixed it.

the problem is i need 2 lenses, one for close up 6'' and another for 14''...

So enlighten us as to what a cheater lens is?? I always have troubles seeing in certain kinds of light. Adjusting the darkness of the auto filter doesn't seem to help.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Cheater lens is a cheap plastic lens like reading glasses that mounts inside your helmet
such as this: miller-welding-helmet-magnifying-lens-212235-1.jpg
Speedglas calls theirs a magnifier plate.

I've been known to use the cheater lens and my reading glasses.
what really helped was a cheap ($15@HD including 2 bulbs) 250W halogen task light.
(http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workforce-250-Watt-Halogen-Portable-Work-Light-778-980/202071327)
I focus sooo much better with those irises closed down a couple f-stops..
I also just noticed I have a few fluorescent tubes out in the overheads as well.

Last edited:

Hardcastle

I haven't tested a bunch of quality helmets but you know i like my Save Phace. I've got the Gen X model. In hind sight the Gen Y would have been sweet since it has the adjustable shade.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I recently bought a Lincoln Viking 3350 auto helmet and I love it. The viewing area is big and the shade color of the lens is amazing.

My son recently bought an amazon yeswelder auto helmet that has all the same features and is really nice. It was only like 75 bucks vs a few hundred for the Viking. Not fully sure the Viking was worth the extra money, but I don’t really regret the purchase.

both helmets are light years ahead of my old auto helmet

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Still love my old miller elites, but I'm very interested in these new shades that have more true to life colors. I've always bought upper end hoods. Worth it? Well, I weld a lot and have never gotten a headache.

RockChucker

I've got a Lincoln Viking that is probably 6 years old at this point. Still love it. I imagine the new ones have an even bigger viewing window and are even better.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
What's all of this "auto-darkening" talk about? Isn't that just a fancy term for flipping my hood down? #boomerwelder #getoffmylawn #aintnobatteriesinmyhood #secretlyusingmysonsautohoodthatheleftatmyhouse

4x4_Welder

What's all of this "auto-darkening" talk about? Isn't that just a fancy term for flipping my hood down? #boomerwelder #getoffmylawn #aintnobatteriesinmyhood #secretlyusingmysonsautohoodthatheleftatmyhouse
I still run my pipeliner helmet.
150067.JPG