Gear / Accessories Welding leathers

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I keep putting off purchasing some welding leathers, and it's well past time to get some. What do you have? What do you recommend? What would you avoid? I'm thinking I want a full shirt, not just sleeves.

Agility Customs

Vendor
I keep putting off purchasing some welding leathers, and it's well past time to get some. What do you have? What do you recommend? What would you avoid? I'm thinking I want a full shirt, not just sleeves.

I have the Airgas in house brand I think its Ragnor. They have been great I bought a lincoln jacket as well and its not holding up as well as the stuff I got from Airgas

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I have a full set of upper leathers/apron that I only wear in rare occasions of having to be up under a coach or vehicle where I am fearful of slag or debris falling. Personally I don't care for full leathers as they are hot and awkward.

For 97% of my welding I merely use a lightweight welding jacket just to keep the UV off mainly. You really shouldn't get much in the way of slag when TIG or MIG welding that has to be dealt with.

Mike

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've never tried one of the lightweight jackets before. Do they hold up to the occasional heavy spark? I'm worried it will eventually burn through.

I only have MIG.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I've never tried one of the lightweight jackets before. Do they hold up to the occasional heavy spark? I'm worried it will eventually burn through.

I only have MIG.

They hold up fairly well to the occasional hot piece of slag or flying spark, but they are a bit lighter than the leathers and much, much more comfortable. The leathers just seem to drag down my energy level they get so cumbersome. I had a really nice Miller jacket that I got from my welding rep when I purchased my MM251 about twelve years ago. Unfortunately it doesn't fit any longer (must have shrunk;)) so I had to give it to my son.

I just have an inexpensive house branded one from my local Norco Welding Supply and don't feel bad if I have to replace it every other year due to wear and tear.

Mike

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I use one of two, in the summer I have the sleeve one that you can attach the belly section to. I also have a Lincoln full jacket (thanks Jake) that I use when it's colder or welding while laying on the ground. Each one has it's own benefit.

I'm shocked you don't have one, they are very nice to have.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
after setting my shirt on fire with grinding sparks last Sat. (again) I bought a leather apron
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UU853M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and welding jacket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002D95EG6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

haven't tried either yet (jacket not here yet) but the apron seems pretty supple and fits well.

You're right about grinding sparks. I actually caught a paper towel on fire in my shop apron a few years back and it got my attention real quick. When I am actually grinding I will don my leathers but I seldom use grinders in the shop as it is NOT my favorite tool. I will go out of my way to avoid having to use grinders, even though I have several to choose from, it is avoided like the plague and only used as a last resort.

Mike

mesha

By endurance we conquer
In the winter I use a sweet suede leather jacket from the 90s. They can usually be found for free or 5 bucks at the D.I. In the summer I use a long sleeve shirt. If I am getting burned too much then I put on a flame resistant cotton welding jacket which does pretty good at keeping me safe. I will probably get a nice leather jacket one of these days.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
You're right about grinding sparks. I actually caught a paper towel on fire in my shop apron a few years back and it got my attention real quick. When I am actually grinding I will don my leathers but I seldom use grinders in the shop as it is NOT my favorite tool. I will go out of my way to avoid having to use grinders, even though I have several to choose from, it is avoided like the plague and only used as a last resort.

Mike
I'm stuck using grinders until my welding gets better :rofl:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
When I was welding on my trailer with Eric, I had short sleeves on. Next day, felt like I had a sunburn on my arms.
you did, technically.

my first time welding I was wearing shorts and squatting down to weld on the ground. crispy inner thighs resulted.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I shaved my beard last week. ALL of the overhead grinding (seriously, does anyone not hate grinding?) was creating quite the fire hazard on my face.

I usually have a long sleeve shirt when I'm grinding or welding, but they are All clearly recognizable by the burn holes.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I don't weld for hours at a time, how much should I worry about this? Because I'm normally in shirt sleeves.

I don't have projects that demand hours of welding either but on occasion I will weld for a few hours at a time on a particular project. As for how much you should worry about it, that depends on your comfort level and risk you are willing to accept more than anything. If I'm welding a quick job I will generally just be in my normal T-shirt and don my gauntlet style gloves. If I'm doing much more than that I put my jacket on to avoid the UV on my arms. To be 100% honest, I would probably accept a bit more risk on the UV aspect but if my wife comes out to the shop and I'm just in shirt sleeves I don't hear the end of it for a while so it is just easier to put my jacket on.:rofl:

When I was welding on my trailer with Eric, I had short sleeves on. Next day, felt like I had a sunburn on my arms.

Agreed, that is the way I am as well. I'm fair skinned and if I'm welding much on anything for any length of time I get burned and I am in a bit of discomfort the next day or two.

I have a Black Stallion Hybrid welding jacket that has leather sleeves, with the rest of it being cloth. I like it because it seems to breathe easier than full leathers, but don't always wear it when I'm welding due to convenience.

My Norco welding jacket is made by Black Stallion if I'm not mistaken and it is quite comfortable. Don't particularly care for the ugly green color of the jacket but it works and is fairly inexpensive so when I tear it or get it dirty I don't feel too awfully bad about replacing it. I'll have my wife throw it in the washing machine on occasion but usually a jacket will last me on average about two years, sometimes a bit more. If memory serves they are in the mid twenty dollar range.

Mike

Bart

I have a light, full sleeved jacket that works great when I take the time to put it on. I was looking at the hole in the arm of the hoodie I was wearing on Wednesday and wishing I had taken the 30 seconds to put the jacket on.