Gear / Accessories Welding leathers

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Really I just use 100% cotton thin sweatshirts. They're like $15 online, so I don't feel bad when I wreck them. I had a leather apron for welding while sitting at the shop and I liked it, but I almost never get to weld in a comfortable position.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I bought the apron mostly for grinding. I have the most control when the grinder pulls straight away from me which means the sparks are coming straight towards me. I've been using a long sleeve cotton shirt to weld with, but it doesn't hold up to the barrage of sparks from the grinder.

thenag

I have a Black Stallion Hybrid welding jacket that has leather sleeves, with the rest of it being cloth. I like it because it seems to breathe easier than full leathers, but don't always wear it when I'm welding due to convenience.

https://www.amazon.com/Revco-FRB9-3...r=8-1&keywords=welding+jacket+leather+sleeves

I have that same one, (or a very similar one, my sleeves are lighter color and are smooth leather) It is great. It does have a few holes burnt thru the body, and some serious sweat stains from where the gloves cover the cuff. I don't weld often but I would totally recommend it.

I have gotten in the habbit of wearing decent coveralls while working in the shop, I will weld with just the coveralls on, especially just quick welds etc. If I am under a vehicle I throw a HF blanket over my body and cover everything else with jackets gloves etc.

Also if I am I out of position I ALWAYS have something protecting my ears, slag in ear would be horrible! I have some welders caps that go under the hood, and/or just foam ear plugs.

Nathan

kts532

Tillman and others make jackets like the one Greg has. Most have leather sleeves and nomex body so they breath better. I have used this type for thirty years and weld for hours most days. The nomex part will melt thru if there are large slag. I keep two sizes one for summer welding and one very large one so I can wear a coat under it for winter. The last one I got was about $52 but last me around 5 to 6 years. If you are going to use them laying down welding overhead cover yourself with something to keep it off your trunk with this type of jacket. Everyone should wear as much protection as you can because the UV rays will give you cancer. I used a narrow hood when I was younger because I could get it in smaller areas but they have had to cut big sections from both my ears because of that. Protect yourself from the rays and the smoke if possible. If you are using gas with a MIg don't use a fan or be where the wind blows you shielding gas away or you will have crappy welds.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Tillman and others make jackets like the one Greg has. Most have leather sleeves and nomex body so they breath better. I have used this type for thirty years and weld for hours most days. The nomex part will melt thru if there are large slag. I keep two sizes one for summer welding and one very large one so I can wear a coat under it for winter. The last one I got was about $52 but last me around 5 to 6 years. If you are going to use them laying down welding overhead cover yourself with something to keep it off your trunk with this type of jacket. Everyone should wear as much protection as you can because the UV rays will give you cancer. I used a narrow hood when I was younger because I could get it in smaller areas but they have had to cut big sections from both my ears because of that. Protect yourself from the rays and the smoke if possible. If you are using gas with a MIg don't use a fan or be where the wind blows you shielding gas away or you will have crappy welds.

That’s experience talking there. Thanks!

(Not that that discounts others experience above)

Caleb

I've always used the sleeves with the option of an apron if I'm doing something overhead. From back in the days when I welded all-day everyday, I would be down in the hull of aluminum boats in the middle of summer welding. Hot, sure but not once would I consider not using them. I've had my arms burned one too many times from the UV to not wear proper sleeves at a minimum.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well I should have learned my lesson from this thread because I spent about 4 or 5 hours welding on trailer of mine yesterday and I sunburned my arms bad. It was too hot to wear long sleeves or so I thought.... What an idiot. Lol