Welding/welder questions

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
I apologize in advance for all the questions.

I picked this little guy up a few months back from a buddy of mine; Lincoln Weldpak 3200hd. He kept the regulator and bottle for the machine that he was stepping up to, so I need to track down both, as well as any other odds and ends to get this thing up and running. I’m coming from a stick welder, so bear with me on this. I’m assuming that all regulators are not created equally, but is there that much more benefit in a $120+ model vs a $35 Amazon Special? How about welding hose? As far as tanks go, it sounds like AirGas is the way to go around here. Argon/Co2? Something else? What size tank is optimal for garage stuff?
419D2226-D72C-4007-9A24-3C49D705B0FD.jpeg

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
If I were in your shoes, I would chase down Jake Mecham at Air Gas... he is above average at explaining things and letting you make your own decisions.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It only runs 120V? I've never had good luck with those machines but maybe your results will vary...?

I recently broke the cheap regulator that came with my welder and the only one I could find locally was $120. It's bigger and easier to read but honestly it will function the exact same for me. It's not a high tech piece of equipment IMO. Most regulators should come with the air hose as well.

I own an Airgas 125 tank and I like it. I probably fill it once a year or so. IMO the bigger tanks are pretty unnecessary for what most home garage hobbyists do but to each their own.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm running a Weldpak 100 on house current. I can get up to 1/4" if I'm super careful (shiny steel, solid ground, sometimes multiple passes), I haven't tried bigger but I'm skeptical that it would do it. It's possible to convert it to MIG but then I'd lose penetration and I don't have a bigger welder, so I agree with Eric. Just run flux core and deal with the spatter until you can get a bigger rig.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
In regards to welder thicker stuff, I have access to the machine that my friend stepped up to, Miller211(?). So for the axle work and brackets, the bigger machine will be used. I plan on using this for the unibody stiffeners, tube work, etc.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
In regards to welder thicker stuff, I have access to the machine that my friend stepped up to, Miller211(?). So for the axle work and brackets, the bigger machine will be used. I plan on using this for the unibody stiffeners, tube work, etc.
IMHO the 120v machines are decent at 1/8" and thinner material. Perfect for exhaust work. I still think it's worth it to run gas. Get the cheap regulator if you can't decide on MIG vs Flux core.

Another issue you will face is your power outlet tripping the breaker. You will many a 20 amp breaker on that circuit for less PITA.

4x4_Welder

Harbor Freight has a regulator for a decent price, and I run Norco bottles. They are a good price, they swap them out and take care of testing, instead of having to wait for a refill.
A dial gauge orifice style regulator is fine for MIG, they just regulate the output pressure through a calibrated orifice to provide a metered flow of gas. Pretty straightforward, and accurate enough for MIG. If you're running TIG, then you want a decent floating ball type flowmeter. These are far more accurate, cost a lot more, but are really needed for good results in that process.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I run Norco bottles. They are a good price, they swap them out and take care of testing, instead of having to wait for a refill.

That's the way they do it at Airgas and Praxair too FWIW. Even when you own the tank they still just do a tank swap when you need a new one.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I will check my cabinet, but I think I have a regulator from my old 3200 weld pack. I really liked that welder. I never used the reg because I only used it with flux core.