Wells Cargo 20ft fast trac as car hauler?

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
We have been storing my neighbors trailer at our house. He used it to tow his corvettes and camaros to car shows. Unfortunately he passed away from Covid at the beginning of the year. His wife wants to sell the trailer and I told her I am interested in it.

The trailer is a 2017 Wells Cargo FastTrack 8.5 20 plus bull nose and the deluxe package.

The Fast Trac is the lightest duty cargo trailer they make. It has 3500 axles which make the cargo capacity @ 3900lbs. At the possible price I am buying it for I have room to upgrade to the 5200 lbs axles/leafs.

Is there a reason why I should stay away from this trailer for hauling the buggy around in? Or a reason I shouldn't upgrade the axles, like the frame might be too week?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have been very unimpressed with newer trailers. Their quality is pretty subpar. I would take a good look underneath and gauge it carefully if you think it will be strong enough.

That being said, I am happy to take it if you pass on the offer!

Pile of parts

My thought is that just upgrading springs and axles doesn't necessarily increase the capacity of the trailer. I would think they are designed accordingly. But I really don't know. Sounds like you have time and could look into that with the manufacturer.

kmboren

My thought is that just upgrading springs and axles doesn't necessarily increase the capacity of the trailer. I would think they are designed accordingly. But I really don't know. Sounds like you have time and could look into that with the manufacturer.
So the only difference I can find in frame design is 24 inch spread on floor beams vs 16 inch on the HD or Car hauler versions of the other model trailers and other trailer brands. This equates to 5 extra floor joist spread over 20 feet.

I don't plan on maxing out the weight of the trailer with 5200 axles under it but want a little more wiggle room than 3900lbs cargo capacity The buggy will probably be close to that by itself self.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have found that most newer trailers have underrated axles and tires. Most new toy haulers have tires and axles rated for just under the empty trailer weight. I think upgrading to larger bearings and better load rated tires via better axles is a good bet. I've never broken a trailer frame, I have toasted several tires, bearings, springs etc.

NYCEGUY01

Id be far more worried about geting rid of the crappy 205 tires that are usually on the 3500 axles that the actual axles.
For what youre doing with it Id worry more about just getting bigger heavier tires under it than the axles.
You could easily put down a 2x12 spread over a couple floor beams to counter the 16 vs 24 on center if it looked like the plywood floor was bowing under the buggy, just parking in the right spot would also do it. As far as 3900 capacity, remember that the truck will be carrying some of that. Depending on tongue weight your 3900 could be a bunch more pretty easy

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I would stay away from any trailer that came factory with 3500 axles. They were designed for side by sides. The trailer “might” hold the buggy but by the time you get water in the tires, tools, spares and all the other stuff loaded in there the trailer is not going to be up to snuff

SnwMnkys

I put 5200 lbs axles and added square tubing to 24" on center floors on an enclosed trailer that came with 3500 lbs axles. Wasn't terribly bad work. There's some picture of it on here somewhere.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would definitely upgrade the axles and go to 16" wheels and tires. The 16" tires have a lot more carrying capacity, which means they will run cooler at the weights you will see.

Bart

Back in the old comp days I ran a 24' Haulmark. that came with 3500 axles. I upgraded the springs and axles and had no problems. I had a tool box in the front, and once in a while I'd have a Mule in with the buggy.

kmboren

So I pulled the trigger on this. To good to pass up. 7 ft ceiling. Rear door opens up to 90.5 Inches. 83.5 in-between fenders. Side door is 47 inches. Today I switched my load range e tires for the load range d ones. My flat bed also got the nicer aluminum wheel as I will have to order new rims when I upgrade the axles on the enclosed trailer. It will be nice to have this for the buggy and to keep it out of the elements. It has a skylight/vent and also 2 interior lights but I need to figure out why they are not working. It also came with the straps to strap each tire down with on the floor track things.
20220401_171415.jpg20220401_171635.jpg20220401_171704.jpg20220401_171726.jpg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Most likely your interior lights are run off your marker lights on the truck. Turn your headlights on and you’ll have trailer interior lights.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Wells Cargo lighting gets its power supply from the trailers brake battery. Most likely, your battery is dead. Now would be a good time to upgrade that mini battery to a regular deep cycle battery with a tender.