Trip Report West Rim at Winter 4X4 Jamboree

Subarudude54

Signed up for West Rim on the first day. Because it is a 4 rated trail, many in the group were in less than ideal rigs, or had little to no experience even if they had a capable rig. Patience was the order of the day. The first ledge took probably an hour to get everyone over it. Then we found ourselves stopping and waiting long times where there was seemingly no movement of the vehicles in the 2nd half of the group. Optional obstacles were discouraged by the leader particularly because of the slow pace of the group. Normally the pace is slow, but we spent much more time stopped rather than moving. I did climb one optional steep bumpy hill (without asking permission). One other rig, a JKU on 37” also climbed it with a little more struggle than me. (My ZJ on 35” tires). Eventually all rigs made it through and we headed back to the State Park going down the sand dunes about 3 pm. Some in the group thought the trail more difficult than it's 4 rating. But that all made it does justify the 4 rating I suppose.

Going down the sand dunes proved challenging for many of the novice drivers. My first experience at Trail Hero in 2019 with the sand dunes going to the Plan B trail was a huge learning experience for me. One of the kids from Dixie Off-road saw my struggles in the sand and gave me some pointers. He told me to stay in 4-lo and hold it in 1st or 2nd gear to keep rpm above 2500. Now I love playing in the sand. I used my winch twice to give a Gladiator and JKU tugs to get down the sand dunes, and that took us up till 5 pm.

I had a good day, but the trail leader was extremely frustrated with the slow pace, or should I say the hours we spend stopped. The less capable rigs and the novices would have had a better experience on West Rim lite in my opinion. I did enjoy it, as I always do.