What are you listening to?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been loving Badflower lately, they just came out with a new song that IMO is amazing... 'The Jester'. This version isn't as good as the radio version, which I'll post below as well. Love the sound of this song though.... it's NSFW, couple of swears in it so be careful. ;)

Here's the radio version, it's more refined, but this is a lyric video...

They also put out another amazing one, the video is dark as is the song.... but man, it's powerful.

And, might as well toss a little Heroin in too....

The official video came out, I think it's pretty good! Kinda getting an Eagles vibe from this one...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Wow--have I really missed posting in this thread? Gee.

Over the last 6 or 7 years, I've fallen in love with Running Wild. They began releasing albums in the mid '80s, and were initially just another run-of-the-mill German death metal band (which didn't appeal to me much at all). But their third album (released in 1987) marked a significant stylistic turning point; they dropped the Satanic imagery and replaced it with a pirate theme, essentially creating a new genre: pirate metal. They continued with this theme for two decades, releasing album after album of pirate stories, topics, etc all backed by fast guitars and thundering drums. When I discovered them, I began buying up their entire collection and loving every minute of it.

Random example #1: The Rivalry

Random example #2: Skull & Bones

But then came 2019. While asking Pandora to play music similar to Running Wild, I discovered a Scottish group named Alestorm. They formed in 2004 and, planning to be a straightforward power metal band, they began writing and performing the expected type of music. One song, written in jest, was called Heavy Metal Pirates. It quickly became their most popular song, so they decided to pick up the pirate baton and run with it. They also decided not to take themselves seriously in the process--not remotely.

In 2008, they finally were signed to a label and released their first album, Captain Morgan's Revenge. Unlike Running Wild, Alestorm goes beyond simple pirate themes and lyrics by incorporating instruments, playing style and lyric style which they feel are representative of the pirate era. All this, combined with modern metal, plus a big helping of humor. Needless to say, they quickly became my new favorite band. I ran out and purchased all five of their studio albums.

Random example #1: Shipwrecked

Random example #2: Drink

Anyway, that's what I've been listening to lately. :)

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
As I've been organizing my garage I just put Amazon Music on "My Soundtrack" and it plays music like Pandora used to before it became an ad filled nightmare. The other night "Alex Chilton" by The Replacement's came on. Back in the day (2001/2ish) there was a local punk band that I can't remember the name of that would always play at The Junction and they did a rockin' cover of that song. Brought back some great memories of mosh pits and skanking. Also reminded me that The Replacements were f'ing amazing.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
As I've been organizing my garage I just put Amazon Music on "My Soundtrack" and it plays music like Pandora used to before it became an ad filled nightmare. The other night "Alex Chilton" by The Replacement's came on. Back in the day (2001/2ish) there was a local punk band that I can't remember the name of that would always play at The Junction and they did a rockin' cover of that song. Brought back some great memories of mosh pits and skanking. Also reminded me that The Replacements were f'ing amazing.

I'm not gonna lie... I enjoyed the skanking tutorial video more than the music.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Josh Ritter is probably my favorite artist of all time. Not only are his compositions fantastic, but every song is a story that is expertly crafted like good poetry.
He played his entire album "So Runs The World Away" live on YouTube for charity last month and its great. Just put it on in the background while you're working.

Last edited: