What are you listening to?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I don’t often stray from TSwift and Angels & Airwaves but when I do it’s for jams like this.

“A lot of beer, a lot of girls and a lot of cursing
.22 automatic on my person
Got my hand in my pocket and my finger's on the trigger
My posse's gettin' big and my posse's gettin' bigger
Run dmc wrote and gave them that track if I remember correctly.

I get sucked down the YouTube rabbit hole at night. I ran into this dude named Lil windex... Which just seemed like a clown like Takashi 69 and all the other mumble rappers. His lyrics actually seemed too put together to just be some Crack head north idahoan. Plus he's with merk, who's polarizing but is pretty respected for his talent.

Then I found this track which explains it all. Both are the same dude. Windex was just a character he made up to make fun of other rappers, and it took off.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Then you sometimes run into the worst genre of hip hop... Well it's more rap than hip hop... I call it hick hop but it's just awful. Bunch of lifted mud trucks and bedazzled jeans and side by sides and vape clouds and Jager and... It's just awful. Nothing good about it. One of the most awful is Jellyroll, who's collection of tracks speaks for itself. Then I listened to this to discover that even the most comically bad rapper is still more talented than the best country music artist.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
My Amazon Music pulled this gem up for me this morning:

The Get Up Kids were huge for me back in my late teens/early 20's. I clearly remember being over at a friends house in the summer of 2001 right after graduation and he put on Something to Write Home About. It was a musical revelation for me. It introduced me not only to pop-punk/midwest emotional punk/proto-emo... whatever you want to call it; it also got me going to local shows and eventually being in a band myself for a few years.
When On a Wire came out, the song Campfire Kansas just perfectly encapsulated that period of my life. Hanging out with friends, goofing off, having a good time, not a care in the world. Halcyon days...

DAA

Turning back the clock a bit too. Finally picked up the new Sabbath Vol 4 remaster this week. Giving it a good hard listen. Definitely makes better use of the sub than the original disc!

A Vol 4 cover by Soulfly, Under The Sun. Not easy to do a Vol 4 track justice, but they pull it off. Computer speakers won't cut it though and probably not even streaming it from youtube. Cranking a good copy on a good system with a decent sub though, it's a nice take on a classic. Nativity in Black is decent over all, some definite clunkers too though - Busta Ryhmes does the worst hatchet job on Iron Man I've ever heard. You can't listen to it twice.

- DAA

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
My wife is a woman of a certain age who swoon for the sultry tones of John Mayer. I had his big album Room for Squares back in college, but never really thought of him after. Yesterday my wife was playing his most recent album Sob Rock and I had to ask who it was. The concept of the album is that he "recorded" it back in 1988 and it was just recently found and released. And I tell you what, he nails the late 80's sound and production perfectly.

Of course, you could argue that Jack Antonoff did this first with Bleachers Strange Desires, which is also a great album that channels that 80's energy.

Mayer's take is more the Don Henley, Cat Stevens "Yacht Rock" sound, while Bleachers is more the bubble gum pop, summer fun sound of Duran Duran or Simple Minds. Either way, they both work.