What bike for my 9 year old

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
My boy has more than outgrown his xr50. Trying to decide what to get next

He is pretty good but a lot like me and not very aggressive. Enjoys cruising around. Mostly just dirt roads.

I asked what he wants and he said a orange bike like dads. That’s enough to make a dad feel proud! BUT... the Ktm 65 seems to be a pretty pipey little thing. I don’t know if he will like it. I don’t want him to be scared of the bike. He isn’t real big or strong. Just a normal kid

I don’t have much of a budget and need to sell the 50 but need to start looking.

What says RME?7D540645-03D5-4411-981D-14F17A160C76.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We just bought some ttr110's for my 9 yr old girls. They are great little bikes. They will be similar to what he is riding now, in larger form.

I will have a ttr90 for sale very soon.. but it may be a little small.

Tonkaman

The orange race bikes are awesome, but certainly not for everyone. Full transparency: my kid rides a KTM 50sx.

KTM pros:
-so much lighter weight!
-actual functioning suspension
-proper riding geometry like big bikes
- plenty of power

KTM cons:
-expensive
- more labor intensive maintenance
-plenty of power!!

Honestly I think bike reflects the kids personality at this point. If he’s ok putting around and not one to push his comfort zone then a ktm is probably not for him. On the flip side, I wouldn’t dare get rowdy on a lesser bike.

ChestonScout

He has rode with a few rowdy kids that ride everyday and i would say he wants to be like that. They had him jumping and trying wheelies and the like.

As a parent maybe I’m more scared of the bike than he would be??

I can see him improving way faster with a good bike. But i also don’t want to scare him off

Tonkaman

The number 1 reasons I went with the KTM is because of the weight difference and having true suspension. Those two things alone boost the kids confidence and ignite that spark in them.

As a parent are you prepared to do maintenance?

Will your kid ride fast enough to keep the bike from overheating?

Are you prepared for your kid to get OBSESSED with dirt bikes? Ha ha

ChestonScout

Ha!!

I’m fine with the maintenance of course. As for riding fast enough....I really don’t know. I’m guessing no at first

Any experience with the kx65? Same animals?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've had a KX65, a KTM 65 and a KTM senior 50. The KX and the KTM 65 were comparable. There are a ton of KX65's in the desert races. They had a tendency to kill crank bearing seals and start sucking oil but are easy to pull apart and replace. The KTM 65 I only had for one year and my son outgrew it. I would not hesitate on either if you find one for a decent price. In my experience, kids do better on light bikes. There is a bit of a learning curve with the clutch but all my boys figured it out pretty quick and loved roosting around on a 65 after being on PW80's.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Those TTR110s are bulletproof, but heavier compared to a 50sx.
You can pick up a used kx65 for pretty cheap but be prepared to pay for a top end since all those little 2 strokes eat them up. All the little 2 stroke race bikes are loud compared to the 4 stroke trail bikes.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If you are only going to cruise around on the trails a 4 stroke will fit the bill, but as been mentioned will be heavier. The 4 stroke will be lower maintenance. If your looking for something with more pep and still ride trails, I would go the direction of the KTM. The KX does not have a power valve and the power is more on/of than the 09+ KTM with the power valve. Unless your kid is flogging the motor you should get at least 40 hours out of a top end. If he is riding it hard all the time it is more like 20-25.

ChestonScout

I didn’t know the 65s had a power valve. Hmmm. That could work.

I am slightly leaning towards 4 stroke but have to wait and see.

Thanks for all the input!

ChestonScout

Well. I’ve been looking for a couple months and finally pulled the trigger

I had myself sold on a klx 110L. I wanted the large so it would last him a couple years and it had a clutch.

But...after looking at a couple I just wasn’t sold. Just a bigger, heavier version of his 50. Suspension sucked. I just couldn’t do it. And him telling me he wanted a orange bike like mine didn’t help.

So...

I found a 2013 KTM 65 that seemed nice. 54 hours on it and a new top end at 46 hours. The best part of this one is it has a Rekluse! I fought with this idea for a couple days. I want him to learn clutching but was really nervous about him not enjoying it. Best of both worlds now. He can practice the clutch without the bike constantly stalling.

It’s going to be his Christmas present (spoiled lil shit ) but it’s going to be hard to keep it from him for a month. We will see. I can’t wait to get him on it

The bike was in elko but for the price it was worth the drive. It snowed the whole trip tho.

12959670-2805-4CB4-8BE7-9DE476C0F138.pngA01F25AB-52F2-4EA5-B9CB-8625F2841124.jpeg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
That will be a good bike for him. I am not trying to be a joy kill on this but I have seen that almost all kids who have a rekluse do not use the clutch when they ride. I think you would be surprised how quick a kid can pick the proper use of a clutch. Most I have worked with are doing pretty good after a few hours and after a few days on the bike are pros. If you really want then to learn how to use a clutch then baptism by fire is the best.

ChestonScout

I can agree with that.

Probably using my lack of skill to punish him

It came with all the stock clutch stuff too. I have a month. Maybe I should swap it and see how he does

Hmm

Tonkaman

I’d make it stock. The new bike will be incentive for him to push through the fear and learn. The great thing about the 65 compared to KTM 50s is that the power is much more controllable because of the clutch. Worst case, you put in the realist later if he struggles too much.

ChestonScout

This month has been the worst at work I’ve probably ever had. I didn’t really have 5 minutes to do anything.

So the rekluse hasn’t been removed and it won’t be before Christmas.

I think I will leave the rekluse for maybe 2 or 3 rides. Just enough for him to get used to the bigger size and power then swap the stock clutch in so he can learn the skill.

I can’t wait to give it to him!!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
A couple rides is not a bad idea.

If anybody is interested, me and Jack are going to do some riding in St. George the first weekend in January. He will only be about 2 days out of the cast so nothing to serious. It would be a good opportunity for your son to learn.