What can you suggest for a hobby plasma table

AaronPaige

Well long story short I bought a Miller extreme 375 plasma cutter like 3 years ago and have used it maybe two hours, mostly because I hate the way my cuts turn out free hand, but I'm wanting a cut table to make brackets and tabs for my buggies, not planning on starting a biz or major manufacturing just small stuff for me to play with... For those that have been down this road what do you suggest and is my plasma even worth putting on a table...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Building one will be the most cost-effective way by far. To make things easy, you can get a kit from Precision Plasma LLC, and the electronics from CandCNC, then just assemble everything and build the table from whatever steel you want to use.

If you want less of a project, you can buy a more turn-key setup, but you'll naturally pay more for that.

Your plasma will be a fine "starter" plasma, but you may find yourself wanting something better once you get up and running.

carsonc1974

Very much interested in this subject. Loking to start dabbling in cnc plasma as well!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The way I see it I wouldn't get enough use out of one to pay it off and besides that, I'm helping pay for Carl's kids' college. :)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you decide you don't want to invest the money or commit the space to a plaz table, but still want some of the learning curve of doing your own drawings, feel free to draw up whatever you need and I'll cut it for you. I'm always encouraging people to do their own drawings, although I end up doing them more often than not anyway. :)

On that subject, there are many programs that will work to generate drawings you'll use. Just about any CAD software can work, as well as drawing programs like CorelDRAW, Adobe Illustrator, etc. I personally use Delta CAD because it's cheap and easy, Draftsight because it's free and can handle more file types, Inkscape because it's free and fairly powerful for artsy stuff, and Make The Cut because it came with my wife's craft cutter and works better than Inkscape for certain things.

There is a few things that were big learning curves to running a table. Generating the drawings/files are one of the big ones. Coming up with your cut settings is another (this is where using a Hypertherm really helps, since their cut charts are fairly accurate). It doesn't take much of an error to screw up a piece of metal, or ruin some parts. :rolleyes: Usually those parts are consumables that you probably have extras of anyway, but sometimes you break something expensive too. Those are the much-less-fun days of having a table.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
We've just invested in a precision plasma llc gantry and will be getting the candcnc electronics kit. Im debating doing a table build thread. I have been playing with the cad and has been a little overwhelming for this simpleton. I will figure it out eventually. whats really slick is all the dxf files on the interwebz that people already share.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
whats really slick is all the dxf files on the interwebz that people already share.

Be careful with those--I've been burned a couple times assuming the files I downloaded were correct. ;) If it's a small enough part, I have had good luck printing it on paper full scale, then using that to verify fitment or critical dimensions. That method will get you close--but as an example, the D44 diff cover parts I cut for Hickey recently had some hole locations just a tad off. Good enough to just oversize the holes a tiny bit, but still...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Be careful with those--I've been burned a couple times assuming the files I downloaded were correct. ;) If it's a small enough part, I have had good luck printing it on paper full scale, then using that to verify fitment or critical dimensions. That method will get you close--but as an example, the D44 diff cover parts I cut for Hickey recently had some hole locations just a tad off. Good enough to just oversize the holes a tiny bit, but still...

I would host "I Lean Approved" dxf files here on RME. Just say'n. Let me know and I'll create a database! :D

AaronPaige

Yroc please keep me informed how your table turns out, I'm a simpleton as well and don't look forward to all the computer side of the project...

neagtea

Supporting Member
This interests me as well
Any one ever seen a pro/con thread on the different brands?
Do you want water under it?
Just a few thoughts