What color should I have my trailer powdercoated?

What color should I have this ridiculous thing coated with?

• Black

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Brown

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Chrome

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Gold

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Jordan River Galvanizing. They charge by the pound, but you can't get it done easily because you made it from tube. They have requirements for open area, so the zinc can flow in/out of any enclosed space. But IIRC it's $.50/lb after you exceed their minimum.

In the absence of that, do it silver-ish. :)

J-mobzz

Jordan River Galvanizing. They charge by the pound, but you can't get it done easily because you made it from tube. They have requirements for open area, so the zinc can flow in/out of any enclosed space. But IIRC it's $.50/lb after you exceed their minimum.

In the absence of that, do it silver-ish. :)

I used to weld a ton of satellite dish quad pods for Mormon churches and the ones that went to coastal areas like Hawaii had to be galvanized. I had these guys do several Over the years and it was always quality work.

Houndoc

I'd vote a lighter color and here's why:
I did my old one "Desert Sand" and it was great
because it had a full metal deck like the one you're building.
It was originally black and it burned the crap out of me when I had to strap stuff down to it in the summer.

Odd, someone actually using logic....

Brad J

I'd vote a lighter color and here's why:
I did my old one "Desert Sand" and it was great
because it had a full metal deck like the one you're building.
It was originally black and it burned the crap out of me when I had to strap stuff down to it in the summer.

I agree with a lighter color as well. When I replaced my wood deck with metal I painted it white. I can hold my hand on it all day long but the fenders hurt to touch. My vote is for a light pink color.
IMG_20200724_191049.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The lighter color for cooler temps is not an issue with this trailer. It's a much smaller trailer than normal car haulers so I won't be climbing over and around it. The Jeep and it's tires will cover nearly the entire trailer.

I also don't think it is an issue with any car hauler. I have many other trailers that are all black. The dump trailer is all black steel and I have to lay on it to attach the front straps. I really don't understand why the black color makes people think it's so much hotter than a light trailer. They'll both get hot out in direct sun. I guess someone should do a Mythbusters on this... Oh wait, it HAS been done.