What did you work on Today; Home Edition

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The light fixture saga continues. When we bought a new house I didn’t know we were going to replace every damn light fixture but here we are. Tonight it was adding a hanging fixture thing over the table. Not my style but I don’t really have style so the wife just picks out crap she likes and I install it. #trophyhusbandthings
34E520C5-2DD4-46A7-AF51-B8B6373DDF4B.jpeg
There wasn’t an existing hole for this one so I had to make one and fish some new wire from one of the cans. When the house was framed my pops told me to take a video of where everything is and even some measurements because I would be glad to have them later. Measurements sounded hard so I didn’t do that but I’ve referenced the video a number of times. It’s really nice!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The light fixture saga continues. When we bought a new house I didn’t know we were going to replace every damn light fixture but here we are. Tonight it was adding a hanging fixture thing over the table. Not my style but I don’t really have style so the wife just picks out crap she likes and I install it. #trophyhusbandthings

Similar phenomenon in Bountiful of replacing lights

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
All panels and drywall are up! I lowered the metal wainscot by the man door because it would have run right between the outlets. I don't think it's very noticeable unless pointed out.

Now for mud. Problem is, I need to keep the shop at 50deg or higher to mud and we have some pretty cold days coming up. Do I wait or just ride that electric bill to the bank? :cool:

IMG_2754.jpeg

Tonkaman

All panels and drywall are up! I lowered the metal wainscot by the man door because it would have run right between the outlets. I don't think it's very noticeable unless pointed out.

Now for mud. Problem is, I need to keep the shop at 50deg or higher to mud and we have some pretty cold days coming up. Do I wait or just ride that electric bill to the bank? :cool:

View attachment 156969
You could use hot mud to combat the cold temperatures

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

View attachment 156969
I'm intrigued by the outlet on the wall above your breaker panel? Ceiling welder? Mezzanine compressor? Neon stripper light?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been working on this bowl a little each night this week. A kid in my ward is getting married today so I was trying to get it done for the reception tonight. Its cherry and should darken up real nice with some time.

I bought a few bowl blanks that were already dry so I could have a few on hand for things like this. I kind of messed up a walnut blank but might be able to save it. I've got a few more this size in cherry and a couple smaller ones in walnut. There is a different kind of anxiety working with something I bought rather than chain-sawed myself (and easily discarded...) and then also wanting it to look good enough that someone would want to keep it in their home a while. Its not perfect but is pretty good I think. The other thing I've been trying to decide on is getting a branding iron to "sign" what I make. I think it'd be a lot better than me chicken scratching my name on them.

20230215_211730.jpg

20230215_211651.jpg

20230215_211632.jpg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I tried a wood burner at a class I did last week and wasn't super happy with how it turned out. I just did pencil with my last name and the year for this one and then put a raw linseed oil and beeswax finish on it. I'm not real concerned if it comes off down the road but wouldn't mind if it stayed for a few months. Eventually I think the cherry will darken enough that it won't be visible anyway.

I think I might have figured something out for the future though.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Sounds like it could be a pretty interesting home sandcasting project? Maybe you could 3D print a logo out if an easily melted material and do a lost wax type venture.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've seen where people have DIY'ed a brand. Print your "logo" reversed out on paper, glue paper to an aluminum or brass billet, carve away everything thats not the printed image and thats it after you drill and tap for a handle. I started to go through the list of things I'd need to buy to be able to do it, then calculated the time to do it three times (if its worth doing once it has to be worth doing three times...) and the hundred to hundred fifty bucks they cost to buy started to look not so bad. I barely have time to do the wood turning on its own.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It's not as fancy, but I've made a couple of brands using plasma-cut plate. Weld on a rod for a handle, done. :)

I'll see if I can find a picture of one. We burned an "S" into a wooden bench for my FIL