What did you work on Today; Home Edition

Pike2350

I spent Saturday (allowing for 3 days for the termite remediation to hopefully make it back to wherever those little bastards are hiding) removing and replacing the 2 damaged joists. Man, what a mess. I had to remove all plumbing lines (feed all bathrooms) the HVAC stack that feeds the upper level where the bedrooms are, and demo out a stud to get them in. I still need to get a joist hanger for the small one on the left side of the stair, but it has a stud under it for now and it only about 3' long. They had completely eaten 1 of the joists from one end to the other. Only the last 1' didn't have more then half the joist gone. The 2nd joist was actually pretty solid and they only tunneled into it the area over the stairs.

1646674651169.png
1646674366159.png
1646674451197.png
1646674533535.png

The plumbing is mostly done. I have to still finish the drain for the upstairs tub (what is pushing down the pex) I will finish that out tonight and get it raised up so it doesn't push on the water lines.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I spent Saturday (allowing for 3 days for the termite remediation to hopefully make it back to wherever those little bastards are hiding) removing and replacing the 2 damaged joists. Man, what a mess. I had to remove all plumbing lines (feed all bathrooms) the HVAC stack that feeds the upper level where the bedrooms are, and demo out a stud to get them in. I still need to get a joist hanger for the small one on the left side of the stair, but it has a stud under it for now and it only about 3' long. They had completely eaten 1 of the joists from one end to the other. Only the last 1' didn't have more then half the joist gone. The 2nd joist was actually pretty solid and they only tunneled into it the area over the stairs.

View attachment 146938
View attachment 146935
View attachment 146936
View attachment 146937

The plumbing is mostly done. I have to still finish the drain for the upstairs tub (what is pushing down the pex) I will finish that out tonight and get it raised up so it doesn't push on the water lines.
Where are you located? I've never seen termite damage that bad in northern Utah!

Corban_White

Built some more shelves:

PXL_20220311_222035732.jpg

Installed some more cabinets and a microwave:

PXL_20220312_232249036.jpg

PXL_20220313_001900928.jpg

That seems like it should have been a fairly simple job, but I spent WAY too long figuring out how to get the 3.25"x10" rectangle hole into a 4" round hole.

PXL_20220312_214450141.jpg

Ended up building a custom box. Didn't take pictures of the 3 templates it took me to get a design that worked.

PXL_20220312_214442739.jpg

PXL_20220312_223434285.jpg

PXL_20220312_223439617.jpg

PXL_20220312_224015791.jpg

Final product turned out pretty good though. Just took forever!

PXL_20220312_232229379.jpg

Pike2350

I spent yesterday tearing out and reframing the wall that the termites has damaged, and that I had to cut to get the new joists in place. It was a much more difficult job then it should've been. Apparently nothing in my house is square or true. I miscut multiple pieces due to ASSumptions. The door opening ended up being tighter then it should've been....but it works. I thought about just leaving it like this and going for the highly sought after "Open feeling" but then thought, maybe that's not what they mean :rofl:

1647275432644.png
1647275449370.png

Trying to leave this as a functioning bathroom as long as possible makes this whole process much more complicated.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Figured it was time to try my hand at wood work.

My wife and I have been trying to figure out what to do with a stupid space in our house that was originally supposed to be a mudroom type wall but it was in our dining room so we had the builder remove it from the plans.

Instead, because there is no office space in our house, I wanted to build a small desk and shelf for computers, printers, Etc.

This is the first time I've done any wood work since middle school and I've definitely never stained anything before. But here is the progress so far.

Currently in the process of staining but I'm no longer intimidated and am starting to get excited as to how will look.

Originally this was a 54" x 24" butcher block.

4A765EC8-7DFC-4A0D-B230-6BEC4DDA7AA9.jpeg

533EE2D5-0669-49D1-9E46-EB649AA94665.jpeg

4BB70F92-A41B-4CAB-B61E-7F75E78A912F.jpeg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Figured it was time to try my hand at wood work.

My wife and I have been trying to figure out what to do with a stupid space in our house that was originally supposed to be a mudroom type wall but it was in our dining room so we had the builder remove it from the plans.

Instead, because there is no office space in our house, I wanted to build a small desk and shelf for computers, printers, Etc.

This is the first time I've done any wood work since middle school and I've definitely never stained anything before. But here is the progress so far.

Currently in the process of staining but I'm no longer intimidated and am starting to get excited as to how will look.

Originally this was a 54" x 24" butcher block.

View attachment 147657

View attachment 147658

View attachment 147659
Good move with the plastic down on a new garage floor. I painted some black parts with gloss a few years ago. I still try to wipe up the drops of spilled oil when I'm working on a car out there. 🤦‍♂️

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Good move with the plastic down on a new garage floor. I painted some black parts with gloss a few years ago. I still try to wipe up the drops of spilled oil when I'm working on a car out there. 🤦‍♂️
I've already messed that up. About a month after moving into our brand new house I was changing the fluid in my trucks t case, made all the precautions and put down soak pads and everything. Ended up dropping the atf bottle all over myself and onto the one spot I didn't think I'd spill on.

Corban_White

@UNSTUCK , what's the low spot there in the middle? And the post holes? Were they just the grade you had to deal with and filling them with concrete was easier than bringing in anything else?

Also, I thought you were only staying in Mesa for a couple years?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
@UNSTUCK , what's the low spot there in the middle? And the post holes? Were they just the grade you had to deal with and filling them with concrete was easier than bringing in anything else?

Also, I thought you were only staying in Mesa for a couple years?
That low spot is the footing for a two post lift. I searched several different lift manufacturers and built the pad to the one with the most strict specs (BendPak). Not sure if we’re going American made or Chinese yet and wanted to make sure there would be no issues with the ground.

The post holes are the footings for all of this:

34567FAF-ED01-4F68-BE38-6ED733DD5870.jpeg

Yes, the plan is still just two years full time. I have a strong feeling I’ll be here part time in the winters for the next ten years and then full time in the winters after that. I wouldn’t complain at all if that’s how it works out.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
That low spot is the footing for a two post lift. I searched several different lift manufacturers and built the pad to the one with the most strict specs (BendPak). Not sure if we’re going American made or Chinese yet and wanted to make sure there would be no issues with the ground.

View attachment 147700

Yes, the plan is still just two years full time. I have a strong feeling I’ll be here part time in the winters for the next ten years and then full time in the winters after that. I wouldn’t complain at all if that’s how it works out.
Are you pouring this in the parking lot of an apartment complex or does your driveway have parking stalls striped? LOL.

Corban_White

View attachment 147700

Awesome! 😎 What are the details on the shop? Diy kit?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Are you pouring this in the parking lot of an apartment complex or does your driveway have parking stalls striped? LOL.
Let's just say I live in an interesting place....

My brother in law built this place behind his house so that his family could live in it while they tore their main house down to "remodel" it. Went from like 2000 square feet to over 5000. They lived in the backyard house for almost two years while the main house was built. Once they moved back into the main house, they turned the backyard house into his business's office. That lasted a year or so before they outgrew it and had to find a new place. Once they did that, they changed it back to a livable house and rented it out to a neighbors kid that just got married. They moved out once they bought a house and we moved in shortly after.
You'd never know it by looking at it, but the backyard house is made up of two 40' containers spaced about 15' apart with a wood frame section in the middle. There is a carport attached to the front of it and a section of that was converted into a 3 car garage that I work out of. The new concrete and lift be under a diy carport that I'll start next week.

Backyard House.png

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Let's just say I live in an interesting place....

My brother in law built this place behind his house so that his family could live in it while they tore their main house down to "remodel" it. Went from like 2000 square feet to over 5000. They lived in the backyard house for almost two years while the main house was built. Once they moved back into the main house, they turned the backyard house into his business's office. That lasted a year or so before they outgrew it and had to find a new place. Once they did that, they changed it back to a livable house and rented it out to a neighbors kid that just got married. They moved out once they bought a house and we moved in shortly after.
You'd never know it by looking at it, but the backyard house is made up of two 40' containers spaced about 15' apart with a wood frame section in the middle. There is a carport attached to the front of it and a section of that was converted into a 3 car garage that I work out of. The new concrete and lift be under a diy carport that I'll start next week.

View attachment 147707
Very cool and I'm super jealous of your parking capacity.