General Tech What did you work on Today?

Kevin B.

Big hippy

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
One of the Auto students used a post jack on a cast aluminum oil pan without any kind of blocking and cracked the pan earlier this week.

Instructor brought it over and asked if we could weld it up. I love opportunities like this because my liability is way low (because it's a donated school car) and I get to practice something that doesn't come across my desk often.

Cast aluminum seems to scare a lot of people but it is relatively easy to repair if you already have TIG Aluminum abilities.
Lots of cleaning, and then run the arc with no filler just below melting amperage to help bring out all the spider cracks you can't see. Drill holes in the ends to keep the cracks from spreading further. Then weld it all up with a copious amount of filler.
IMG_2399.jpeg
IMG_2400.jpeg
IMG_2401.jpeg

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
That's impressive!
I always have to burn the oil out of the cast or it never works well for me. Granted I'm usually having to weld the inside of a thing that's absorbed oil for years.
I'm not sure what vehicle it came off of. But it was definitely grimy as hell. Lots of brushing, torching, and the die grinder to top it off made it "clean enough." If you look close you can still see the dirty specks that are inevitable with oily cast aluminum.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
One of the Auto students used a post jack on a cast aluminum oil pan without any kind of blocking and cracked the pan earlier this week.

Instructor brought it over and asked if we could weld it up. I love opportunities like this because my liability is way low (because it's a donated school car) and I get to practice something that doesn't come across my desk often.

Cast aluminum seems to scare a lot of people but it is relatively easy to repair if you already have TIG Aluminum abilities.
Lots of cleaning, and then run the arc with no filler just below melting amperage to help bring out all the spider cracks you can't see. Drill holes in the ends to keep the cracks from spreading further. Then weld it all up with a copious amount of filler.
View attachment 171721
View attachment 171722
View attachment 171723

Nice job on the cast aluminum repair. I've done quite a bit of cast aluminum welding over the years as well as I also bathe the torch/arc over the area to do some pre-cleaning measures before adding filler. It also does a good job of adding some heat for pre-heating the part. I've started using 4943 TIG rod a few years back and have produced good results with it.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Nice job on the cast aluminum repair. I've done quite a bit of cast aluminum welding over the years as well as I also bathe the torch/arc over the area to do some pre-cleaning measures before adding filler. It also does a good job of adding some heat for pre-heating the part. I've started using 4943 TIG rod a few years back and have produced good results with it.
What is the main difference you saw doing 4943 instead of your basic 4043?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
What is the main difference you saw doing 4943 instead of your basic 4043?

To be honest, I really didn't notice much of a difference in the actual weld or weld process. I started using it a few years ago because it is stronger than 4043 and with cast in particular, I wanted every advantage possible to avoid any additional stress cracking once the repair was complete.

The_Lobbster

I'm not sure what vehicle it came off of. But it was definitely grimy as hell. Lots of brushing, torching, and the die grinder to top it off made it "clean enough." If you look close you can still see the dirty specks that are inevitable with oily cast aluminum.
Curiosity got me so I went and looked, was on their white ranger. Saw the repaired pan next to it on the bench.

IMG_2988.jpeg

IMG_2987.jpeg