General Tech What did you work on Today?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Been trying to get some stuff done before my possibly busy season starts. Who knows with all this coronavirus stuff going on. Anyways I've missed welding.View attachment 126085
Im super sick of hand loading non running vehicles on my trailer. I've had a badland 12k winch for basically as long as I've had this trailer but been too "busy"(lazy) to weld a receiver to the front of the trailer.
View attachment 126086
Got it all burned in and redneck powdercoated.
Trying to figure out battery box and storage.
View attachment 126087
Then welded a d ring for future snatch block or tie down use.View attachment 126088

I need to find a cheap winch and do the same. Nice work!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've been needing to replace my oil pump in the buggy and so I figured I'd get a new oil pan, take some scrap and make a nice skid plate. Not even close to finished but I figured I'd post it up anyways.

9FF820D4-0CC8-48AD-9C6D-9F2A0D0A549B_1_105_c.jpeg
F8C6D0A3-BC4B-4867-9DF6-9D004F35041D_1_105_c.jpeg

That swag press brake is worth it's weight in gold. Love that thing.

XJEEPER

Wrapped up the axle beef project on Saturday.
The inner C's had been previously rotated to regain lost caster but the passenger side was off by 1.3 degrees, so I removed the weld, rotated the C to match the driver side and rewelded it.

Inner C rotation.jpg

I then prepped both C's and burned on the Artec Upper and Lower C gussets.

SB Gusset.jpg

SB Artec knuckle gussets.jpg

Next came cleaning the diff to accept the Artec truss. This is a well designed unit and required only minor grinding to allow for a snug fit.

SB Truss 4.jpg

SB Truss 3.jpg

SB Truss 2.jpg

The Artec truss comes with a new UCA mount that will accept a Johnny Joint, but if opting to reuse the factory bushing, the provision is to trim down the factory UCA mount and reattach. The owner will be replacing these bushings with JK units to benefit from the larger sleeve/bolt size.

SB Truss1.jpg

The final step was to modify the Stinky Fab Racing raised trackbar axle mount so that it would fit properly with the truss. The owner selected this unit, as he purchased a complete 7075 aluminum trackbar/bracket set and HD steering upgrade from Stinky Fab Racing to compliment a WJ knuckle swap, mounted with Teraflex HD ball joints.

HP 30 axle beef project ready for pickup. The swaybar endlinks brackets will be tuned and burned in when the axle is mounted and steering linkage installed, to ensure proper geometry and clearance.

SB Diff final.jpg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Wrapped up the axle beef project on Saturday.
The inner C's had been previously rotated to regain lost caster but the passenger side was off by 1.3 degrees, so I removed the weld, rotated the C to match the driver side and rewelded it.

View attachment 126104

I then prepped both C's and burned on the Artec Upper and Lower C gussets.

View attachment 126108

View attachment 126105

Next came cleaning the diff to accept the Artec truss. This is a well designed unit and required only minor grinding to allow for a snug fit.

View attachment 126109

View attachment 126110

View attachment 126115

The Artec truss comes with a new UCA mount that will accept a Johnny Joint, but if opting to reuse the factory bushing, the provision is to trim down the factory UCA mount and reattach. The owner will be replacing these bushings with JK units to benefit from the larger sleeve/bolt size.

View attachment 126112

The final step was to modify the Stinky Fab Racing raised trackbar axle mount so that it would fit properly with the truss. The owner selected this unit, as he purchased a complete 7075 aluminum trackbar/bracket set and HD steering upgrade from Stinky Fab Racing to compliment a WJ knuckle swap, mounted with Teraflex HD ball joints.

HP 30 axle beef project ready for pickup. The swaybar endlinks brackets will be tuned and burned in when the axle is mounted and steering linkage installed, to ensure proper geometry and clearance.

View attachment 126116

Nice job on clocking the knuckles, that's no easy nor quick job. Welds look good.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Last night I took a few minutes to replace the diamond wheel on my Weld Craft tungsten dressing tool. I’ve had this tungsten grinder/dresser for about 10+ years and this is the original diamond wheel so I’ve been very impressed.

7c253070afc0c78e190c897dda5af194.jpg

e3ec1649989ff5f928e20805bb2e51af.jpg

Here you can see the wear around the outer third or so of the wheel.
fc3ac91f469f1823ec820df7d304aee6.jpg

I then decided to tear my Vertex 8” rotary table down and clean, inspect and lube. I bought this rotary table at an estate sale about 8 or so years ago and it’s always seemed to be a bit on the tight side. Well after going through my compound slide on the lathe the other night and seeing how smooth it operates now I thought I would do the same to the rotary table.
cc1affdaacfb5d21f338c0867654ba3b.jpg

I think here is a lot of the problem. The grease is dry and chunky so a thorough cleaning in the solvent tank is a good place to start. I knew this piece wasn’t used much when I purchased it as it was in like new condition but there’s no saying how long it has sat on the guy’s shelf.
91284dccd6f1088ec79dde4f0b2de7f2.jpg

All of the internals were covered in the same nasty grease. No wonder it seems so tight and not smooth in operation.
1328a33c6f19a765161ad0adbf9f4a41.jpg

Cleaned and ready for a good inspection.
2fb7ccb5599ea498083d4592a2ff3807.jpg

I think I’m going to see how readily available the tapered bearing is and just replace the bearings. The roller bearing is merely a 6208 non-sealed or shielded bearing. The tapered bearing has a very slight catch in it that I can’t seem to flush out so I’m going to make a call to my bearing supply house tomorrow and check on availability. Worse case scenario if I can’t locate one easily is I’ll let it soak in carb cleaner for a while and dissolve the dried grease.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I wonder if someone grounded the work through the bearing at some point or is this not a welding positioner?

No this is not a welding positioner, I have a 6" 6-jaw chuck on my welding positioner. The rotary table is for machining on the milling machine and was not used much at all when I purchased it. I think the grease was probably less than a high quality grease to begin with.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Thanks Mike. C rotation is a bit of a PITA, but the net results are worth it. I've done a few of these, the first was with the axle on the Jeep....won't ever do that again. ;)

Agreed. They're a PITA. We did the JK D44 that we put in my son's WJ to correct the caster to pinion angle separation and although it wasn't a technical job it was just a nasty, messy and time consuming job. That was a 10-hour day of my life I'll never get back. :D

Mike

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Agreed. They're a PITA. We did the JK D44 that we put in my son's WJ to correct the caster to pinion angle separation and although it wasn't a technical job it was just a nasty, messy and time consuming job. That was a 10-hour day of my life I'll never get back. :D

Mike
It's one of those tasks that I'm capable of doing, yet wish I wasn't.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think if we can find a bad AX15 to rob the rear cover off of, we can keep the transmission and get a new bell housing. The biggest problem we face is the two engine block to bell housing bolt holes that are broken off of the engine block. We'll have to pull the engine to dress those areas and weld them up.