General Tech What did you work on Today?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
We'll be replacing the 307 with this roller cam 454 which we dropped off at my house on our way to yank the 307.

We'll be doing a dingleball cleanup of the bores, then install a new ZZ502 camshaft, RPM AirGap intake, and longtube headers just like in my car. To deal with the added bulk of the wagon compared to my svelte Grand Prix, I'm suggesting we go deeper than my 3.55 axle ratio--I'm thinking 3.92 may be the sweet spot (though Mike is pushing for 4.10s).
4.10's would make for better burnouts. So do that. X-D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Not exactly the first job I wanted to do in the garage but glad to have my crap back so I can not beg someone else for a quick exhaust/muffler weld. image.jpg
image.jpg
Far from an ideal “fix” but it will get me by for a minute until I figure out what muffler/exhaust a V10 likes?

pics of welds in the wind to come soon:rofl::rofl:

2A1F0946-1923-4F7A-AC89-60C40C5DDCC9.jpeg

nice eh? Wind, THIN metal and .35 wire ... tack tack weld to stop burning through

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Last night I modified my SWAG HD finger brake.

I cut the welds to remove the angle iron to make room for the 4-way press die that I purchased a while ago.

A couple of passes freed the angle iron from the base.

While clamped in the mill vise I machined the welds and the heads off of the carriage bolts from the base.

I still need to cut a couple of pieces of strap and drill & tap the front and back to install adjustment for the dies front to rear.

Mike

nnnnnate

@mbryson I want a dump trailer, like bad.

I borrowed one from our builder to get dump compost yesterday and it was awesome. Fill it up, then level off the hump in the middle, then pull down the integrated cover from the front. I was out of there pdq. It didn't dump that great but I'm scheming.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
@mbryson I want a dump trailer, like bad.

I borrowed one from our builder to get dump compost yesterday and it was awesome. Fill it up, then level off the hump in the middle, then pull down the integrated cover from the front. I was out of there pdq. It didn't dump that great but I'm scheming.
I’ll need one of those in the coming months. Lots o gravel in my future

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Marc, just for reference since our lots are similar sized. You’ll probably be money ahead just to have it delivered. My yard took one end dump semi, and four ten wheelers of gravel and boulders to cover. That’s a lot of trips with a dump trailer. You’ll probably need quite a bit less than I did, I have zero grass.

Hickey

Rusty Girdle
Supporting Member
I absolutely love my dump trailer, but I still want an ultra light Jeep hauling trailer. They are pretty expensive for the amount of use most average people use them. I've used mine a ton for my recreation property and I've also hauled my Jeep on it. I've had 13k lbs of gravel in it and it will still dump perfectly.

If you have several small gravel jobs they are great. For one or two larger jobs, it's worth it to hire a dump truck.
10F68A78-A9A6-495C-A4E9-05BE6CBE9CD2.jpeg

nnnnnate

I certainly can't justify buying a dump trailer but a girl can still dream, right? I grabbed the trailer again this morning and did another 6 yard load of dump compost. My back is killing me from spreading the whole thing but my yard looks real nice.

In a couple more years when the yard is settled and done I'd only use the trailer once in the spring to get compost. I've been getting top soil delivered and have my 5th and final load coming Tuesday.

My LX can't handle much more weight than the compost and trailer. I think I'd need a truck to pull it with gravel.

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
Today I finally got around to swapping out the tired but sweet velour rear seat cover in the ‘68 and replacing it with a new factory style cover that I scored a couple months ago.
D5A30B24-ECCB-40EE-BAF0-AAE4A4DC63B1.jpegCBE7482D-A3C9-4462-960F-3934492AE220.jpeg183F3BD5-72A8-4DCD-A757-ECF3D14FF2EE.png
When this car was restored back in the ‘90s by the P.P.0 they converted the interior to this beautiful fabric that a buddy deemed “like a whorehouse”.
By the time I took possession of her the front seats had been recovered in OE style black vinyl but the rear retained the pleasure package.
807F9CB3-CECF-4BEE-8B90-5E338821D87A.jpeg7D796DB9-4B6F-435D-AAC3-C873AEEBCBB3.jpeg
Once I removed the lovin’ layers, I found the original Ivy Gold seat Covers under them, a little worse for the wear. I’d actually prefer the Ivy Gold to its current Raven Black, but that’s what I had so we ran with it. Once I finally get around to painting the car I’ll probably go with Parchment interior simply for the not cooking me factor, plus I think it’ll look good with the Highland Green Metallic it will return to.
742B7986-81CF-4567-9725-9EFC609958EB.jpeg
Done, and way better! Thanks @spaggyroe for the use of the hog ring pliers. 👍🏻

XJEEPER

After toying with several rear bumper designs for my XJ, I finally decided to just go with a JCR DIY bumper that I could modify to suit my goals of a bumper that matches the XJ body lines and the removal of the stock receiver hitch, which hangs down about 4" below bumper height and incorporating a tow-worthy receiver into the bumper.

This unit is well thought out and CNC cut out of 3/16' T steel.

JCR DIY XJ Rear Bumper.jpg

I made the appropriate folds per instructions and then proceeded to tack the parts together. I made sure to tack on some temporary bracing to prevent warping, as I welded the center section.

IMG-1041.jpg
IMG-1066.jpg

Next step was to join the end-caps to the center section and then bust out the flap wheel, as copious amounts of grind-age is required to contour the angles of bumper face, which if done correctly, ends up looking like this.

IMG-1144.jpg

With the bumper test-fitted to the mounts, I noticed that the lower outside corners looked like they would be prone to snag on rocks upon ledge departure and lacking proper tie-in, would likely bend.

IMG-1092.jpg

Time to break out the Cardboard Aided Design tools to remedy this design flaw.

IMG-1085.jpg

I broke out my new favorite fab tool and produced two filler panels from some 3/16" scrap that I had on-hand.

IMG-1086.jpgIMG-1087.jpg

Burn and blend completed

IMG-1129.jpg

XJEEPER

With the bottom side beefed up, I welded on the tail-light fillers and shackle tabs, which tie into the bumper mounts, which then tie into the receiver mounting points on the uniframe.

IMG-1143.jpgJCR bumper endcap final.jpg
Shackle Tab 2.jpg

I chopped the center tube out of my stock receiver hitch and replaced the cross tube with a section of 2" x 2" x .250 wall tube, which is relocated higher on the brackets so that it will be recessed behind my new bumper, instead of hanging below and dragging on tall ledges.

I trimmed up the mounting brackets a bit before welding this assembly together.

Hitch 1.jpgHitch 3.jpgHitch 4.jpg

I then fabbed up an angle bracket which will be welded to the center of the new hitch tube and provide a solid attachment point for the receiver that I will weld into the bumper. I drilled a couple of 5/8" holes in this bracket and the mating plate that will weld to the bumper, so that the bumper receiver can be unbolted from the hidden hitch frame.

Reveiver bracket weld.jpgReceiver bracket drilled.jpg

kmboren

With the bottom side beefed up, I welded on the tail-light fillers and shackle tabs, which tie into the bumper mounts, which then tie into the receiver mounting points on the uniframe.

View attachment 127793View attachment 127794
View attachment 127795

I chopped the center tube out of my stock receiver hitch and replaced the cross tube with a section of 2" x 2" x .250 wall tube, which is relocated higher on the brackets so that it will be recessed behind my new bumper, instead of hanging below and dragging on tall ledges.

I trimmed up the mounting brackets a bit before welding this assembly together.

View attachment 127796View attachment 127797View attachment 127798

I then fabbed up an angle bracket which will be welded to the center of the new hitch tube and provide a solid attachment point for the receiver that I will weld into the bumper. I drilled a couple of 5/8" holes in this bracket and the mating plate that will weld to the bumper, so that the bumper receiver can be unbolted from the hidden hitch frame.

View attachment 127799View attachment 127800
Looks Awesome. I am a little surprised you didn't cut out the the opening and slide in 2x4 metal into the Unibody. That's what I did and incorporated the hitch into the bumper and welded nuts so you could still attach bumper with the hitch would bolt.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeeps
I would love to be able to flap disc anything that perfectly straight and smooth. Goals!! The bumper looks much better than if JCR had welded it together for you.